Dead leaves floating too top?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the first spring that my pond has been; I feel well established; 2nd year overall with my pond. I had planned on scooping most of the leaves off the bottom of the pond this spring anyway but I have noticed that they are all slowly rising to the top. Is this normal? I don't mind them floating to the top, it makes my life easier cleaning them up and the fish don't seem to mind or be affected in any way. I don't remember last spring any leaves floating to the surface, nothing like this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU HAVE EITHER TOO MUCH AIR are you using air pumps?

or your leaves are decaying giving of co2 and that's raising them either way it's not great

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I get my pond bottom cleaned up in the spring by sprinkling sodium per carbonate on the pond surface. The result is the same - the debris all floats to the top. Not sure what the process is, but you must have something similar going on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive noticed tiny bubbles starting to form on the liner. Im assuming that is CO2, am i correct in that assumption? The fish don't seem to be affected at all. I do have a constant flow of fresh, new water into the pond so the fish probably don't even know theres anything wrong. Is this something that should go away as the summer goes on? Theres not many leaves left to float to the top.

Ask a Question