A new face at the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'd been leaning over, plucking leaves and debris out of the water when I glanced to my left and saw I was being observed. And I spotted foamy stuff floating so maybe someone was feeling frisky already.
20240307_090125.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! We had a frog show up in our pond late last summer. Looking forward to seeing if it's still going to be here when the temps warm up.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would love to have tadpoles / frogs in my pond ... alas, it is too elevated for entering and exiting.
Some frogs can climb walls. Not sure what kinds you have there in Virginia but tree frogs can climb. Sticky fingers :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not last summer but the summer before, I brought in a few common frogs into my partially enclosed area behind my half shaded pond. Last spring March 13th ,I was delighted to watch frogs in serenading on the surface of my pond and later that day had two nice clumps of spawn nestled in the shallows by the fauna and string algae but alas this year of cloudy and rainy spring weather, I haven't yet seen a single frog 🐸

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Not last summer but the summer before, I brought in a few common frogs into my partially enclosed area behind my half shaded pond. Last spring March 13th ,I was delighted to watch frogs in serenading on the surface of my pond and later that day had two nice clumps of spawn nestled in the shallows by the fauna and string algae but alas this year of cloudy and rainy spring weather, I haven't yet seen a single frog 🐸
This is my setup almost exactly, except I wouldn't describe the mating calls of the frogs as "serenading". They are shockingly loud which I did not realize until we had a pond next to our living room windows. We literally have to turn up the TV louder to hear it on nights they are looking for mates. The pond is not that big either so I have no idea why they have to go at it for weeks trying to find one another :rolleyes: No tadpoles (or for that matter baby fish) in the pond though. My goldfish eat everything.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my setup almost exactly, except I wouldn't describe the mating calls of the frogs as "serenading". They are shockingly loud which I did not realize until we had a pond next to our living room windows. We literally have to turn up the TV louder to hear it on nights they are looking for mates. The pond is not that big either so I have no idea why they have to go at it for weeks trying to find one another :rolleyes: No tadpoles (or for that matter baby fish) in the pond though. My goldfish eat everything.
Ah!!! Maybe my neighbour has also found the sound of frogs irritating as they are adjoined to the back of our garden. I think the sound is quite tranquil in warmer climes but I suppose if it was continuous under our lounge window then could be a nuisance. I thought it was the crummy weather causing the no show but maybe I should remove the leaf catcher from around the pond as someone may have snuck in and used it for their own end 🫣

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Ah!!! Maybe my neighbour has also found the sound of frogs irritating as they are adjoined to the back of our garden. I think the sound is quite tranquil in warmer climes but I suppose if it was continuous under our lounge window then could be a nuisance. I thought it was the crummy weather causing the no show but maybe I should remove the leaf catcher from around the pond as someone may have snuck in and used it for their own end 🫣
Too be fair we find it more humorous that irritating, but if we do happen to catch one of the "star crossed lovers" they are relocated to a nearby stream.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too be fair we find it more humorous that irritating, but if we do happen to catch one of the "star crossed lovers" they are relocated to a nearby stream.
That gets my vote, presumably lots of cover along the stream for hiding places 🙂

Ask a Question