A quick hello

Reaction score
This will be a quick hello as I am going to take advantage of the cool weather to go dig my pond. Normally I am pretty long winded but...... Anyway, I am constructing a pond in my small backyard. The main pond will be about 8' X 5' and a minimum of 3' at the deepest end. There will be a waterfall that is lead to the pond by an 8' stream. I have just ordered my liner, EPDM 45mil. I have kept fish over 30 years in aquariums from 3 gallons to 125 gallons and as many as 10 at a time. Well that's it, off to dig:regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Thanks Koiguy, the username is an old story.

Sorry Koikeeper, I didn't realize I need to post 10 times before I can send a PM. I am in Prescot, off of Waxhaw-Marvin Rd., just past the light @ Kensington Rd. My backyard faces Waxhaw-Marvin and my "pond" / "pile of dirt" is visible from the road. That's cool to have someone so close by that has experience in ponds since we are up against the same environment and weather. Almost done digging, I think.....

Reaction score
I know exactly where you are. You're about 3 minutes down the road for me.

I have 2 koi that are 11-12" long that I am looking to re-home to a good family. So, if you are interested in them when you're pond is up and running, you are welcome to them. One is a lively male, and the other is a female that is starting to fill up with eggs. This will be the 3rd summer I've had them both. I've found a home for all the goldfish, but was hoping for an appropriate home for the 2 koi, too.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
I know exactly where you are. You're about 3 minutes down the road for me.

I have 2 koi that are 11-12" long that I am looking to re-home to a good family. So, if you are interested in them when you're pond is up and running, you are welcome to them. One is a lively male, and the other is a female that is starting to fill up with eggs. This will be the 3rd summer I've had them both. I've found a home for all the goldfish, but was hoping for an appropriate home for the 2 koi, too.

That is a great offer but is my pond going to be large enough to accomodate them? it will only be about 900G max in the pond itself not counting the stream and waterfall. The pond part will be 8' X 5'. I may go deeper, we'll see.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
i had an aquaintence known as 'squid' cause of his long dreads.

My freind had a boat with no name. I warned him it was bad luck to have a boat with no name. We broke down while fishing and needed a tow. I used his radio to call Sea Tow ( this was before cellular phones ) and we had to identify ourselves by the name of our vessel. I was "impaired" at the time and we where using squid as bait. When I called Seatow I didn't think of this ( the name of the vessel ) So I said "This is the vessel......." I paused a minute and looked down to sea a bucket with squids heads in it. Then continued...." This is the vessel Squidhead, we are in need of a tow". My buddies eyes bulged out ( who was also "impaired" )and we both started cracking up. The name stuck and so has the story for about 20 years now.

Ask a Question