A simple trick to eliminating algae blooms

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
I would also suggest that if your pond like mine is above grade and you end up mounting the pump at a lower area. Be sure to buy one of those butterfly valves that go inline with the hose to prevent the water from flowing back into the pump in case of power failure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Bruddaman said:
Hey Country,
I had the same issue. Turned out the fish were not yet creating enough waste to feed the plants. Everything was in balance, but the water lettuce and hyacinth were browning and dying. Here was my saga: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/plant-fertilization-t8181.html

My pond just needed a boost until the fish get bigger. I hope this helps.

Bruddaman, thanks for directing me to your other post. I read it and agree with it. Glad you are having better luck with your floaters. I also have been having better luck with my hyacinths. Water lettuce did die, but only had one plant. Will try them again next year earlier. I have koi in my pond now, total of 9 from 4" to 9", plus about 10 goldfish of sizes from 1" to 6". I'm sure they are helping the fertilization issue. Also, I note that my pond lillies all came in fertilized media. I also bought some fertilizer tablets to push in the media for the larger plants I've bought to help them out. Maybe next year I won't need them, but I wanted to give them every opportunity this year to bloom. But, the floaters have to get their nutrients from the water. Tonight, it stormed and the hyacinths got blown out of the ring, so will have to gather them again. I also, like Addy, tied the rings so that I can get to them, and more importantly, so the rings don't get in front of the skimmer and clog the water flow with their root systems. :)

Reaction score
Do you have to protect the pump from the outside elements,rain etc ? The other day I stopped at my LPS and questioned him about this. He said that I would probably have to cover the pump with something. The cost of a aquarium pump sure beats the price of a pond aerator pump.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes you must protect it from rain, moisture anything damp and cord must be out of rain also. Don't want anyone to get shocked. I have had an aquarium pump 18" down on my plant shelf for a few yrs now and I cover the pump by putting inside a tupperware square container. I made a slit for the cord to go through and a hole for the air hose and put the lid on it and stuck it under a table on my covered front porch deck. It seems to work fine that way. I pick up the cheap pumps for aquariums at second hand stores. I have only had to replace one so far in 3 yrs and they are very cheap at those stores.

Ask a Question