Add a 2nd filter mat?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You need to address the current issue - excess debris - before you can get to the next issue - a pleasing flow from your waterfall. We've been running a separate box filter with Matala pads for this very reason - 10 years in with no mechanical filter and we had a lot of fine floating stuff. Our filter has six pads and we were cleaning it daily at first. Now we're down to weekly. This particular filter box they reduced the design from 8 pads down to 6 to allow for more room for water - with 8 pads it would clog and overflow too quickly. So there is a sweet spot when it comes to how many pads is enough vs too many for mechanical filtration.

I would also suggest that not all filter pads are the same. Some biofalls come with a foam pad as the filter. Others use Matala pads, which is considered the best by almost everyone I've ever talked to. Your results will vary depending on the type of pad you're using, as I'm sure you know.

As to "is this enough bio-filtration" that's an answer you can only get through water testing. How clean or dirty the water looks has nothing to do with how healthy it is for your fish. If you really want an answer you can measure, get a test kit and start testing. I think though, that you want to aim for more than just your biofalls for bio-filtration. Lots of plants and gravel and rocks all help that process too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do have a test kit and the water test good, health fish is my top priority.

The questions I'm asking are more for me and my family to better enjoy the pond, water clarity and water flow out of the falls are important to us.

Obviously there are a lot of bog warriors here so I'll research and consider.

thanks to those that offered actionable advise/input and to the compliments on our pond.

Greg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like GB yelled atcha;
NO YELLING just to lazy to go back and correct. Computers are smart enough to auto correct im waiting for the next step i guess it's going to be AI and the Terminator. At least so my son Connor says.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
NO YELLING just to lazy to go back and correct. Computers are smart enough to auto correct im waiting for the next step i guess it's going to be AI and the Terminator. At least so my son Connor says.
YELLING? WHO SAID YOU WERE YELLING? WHERE YA GETTIN' DAT FROM, gb?

heh heh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know....I DID skip ahead....
But....When I read your statement, it sounded like everything was OK until you fussed with the filter pads.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Am I wrong?
I'm not being sarcastic, just noticed that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The falls came with 1 - 1” mat which I wasn’t sure would be sufficient surface area for bacteria so I added a second mat after about a week. Just obviously reduced the flow at the fall. About 3 weeks later and my water has turned brown.
Did I create the problem? Flow issue probably yes by adding the 2nd filter mat but the brown water issue I don’t think so…. It came weeks after adding the mat which is what I don’t understand
I didn’t take your response as sarcastic at all …. Good observation

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond has a ledge that is 3” deep on 3 sides, I did this to place the plants around the edges.
Today I’m going to put all the plants in aqua soil thinking maybe the brown is leaching from the 9 plants I have on the pond ledge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't think a single bio falls is enough filtration for a 2,000 gallon pond. No where near what you need. And it will get worse as those fish grow and reproduce.

I'm gonna say it....
Yeah, I'm a bog warrior!
I struggled with my pond water for years. I had a handful of different filters, including a couple of UV lights.
I tried homemade filters, store bought filters.
I wasted so much time cleaning those things out and so much money purchasing them. What a waste! If I only knew about bogs 10-12 years ago, my life would have simpler and I'd have more money in the bank.

In the the Spring of 2020, I had two pressure filters running and a UV light. My water was solid green. Too many fish. They keep multiplying.

I was inspired by @addy1 to add on a bog filter.
My water has never been this clear. And practically zero maintenance. No more filter pads to rinse. No more green water.

Edit:
Oh, I forgot to mention....my pond is around 1,800 gallons. So it has less water than yours. You don't have any koi, so that's a plus. They create a lot of waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have the same issue as you - every spring I get an algae bloom and have an awful time keeping the water clear. I don't expect crystal clear - as it is a pond. But water quality needs help. I have a fair amount of plants and water lilies but am trying something different this year. My skimmer box filtration isn't cutting it. I do not have the energy to put in a bog, so I am experimenting with more filtration in the waterfall as well. My pond looks like your second photo - not bad, really. Keep us posted on your results. Matala sells different types of mats with respect to denseness. They recommend using a combination for best results. Have to investigate the bog idea more.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I put a piece of batting in the skimmer sort of like a prefilter…..after 2 hours this is what it looks like

Attachments

• 20C31C99-CE19-44D0-9B26-6B5CD75650DF.jpeg
    20C31C99-CE19-44D0-9B26-6B5CD75650DF.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United States
I put a piece of batting in the skimmer sort of like a prefilter…..after 2 hours this is what it looks like

Attachments

• EE6E782C-C7C7-459D-9B40-E0CB68BBE350.jpeg
    EE6E782C-C7C7-459D-9B40-E0CB68BBE350.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United States
Will do, also hope changing the perimeter plants to aqua soil may help…..fingers crossed

my set up was sold to me based on it being slightly over 2000 gallons so I hope this is simply an event versus a ongoing/equipment capability issue or!!!!

Ask a Question