Add a 2nd filter mat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Will do, also hope changing the perimeter plants to aqua soil may help…..fingers crossed

my set up was sold to me based on it being slightly over 2000 gallons so I hope this is simply an event versus a ongoing/equipment capability issue or!!!!
I'm wondering if your problem is from that soil you are using for the plants. Seems to make sense to me, since the water is brown.

Do you cover the top of the soil with gravel or small stones to keep it from leaching into the water?

Better yet, do what many of us do....use unscented pure clay kitty litter instead of soil.
The cheap kind without any chemicals, scents, etc.
The one I use is called "Kitty Diggins". The single ingredient is Fullers Earth.
If it gets into the pond when you use it, the water will cloud a bit, but it will clear pretty quickly. Plus the clay is actually beneficial to the water and fish, so it's no big deal if some spills.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think a single bio falls is enough filtration for a 2,000 gallon pond. No where near what you need. And it will get worse as those fish grow and reproduce.

I'm gonna say it....
Yeah, I'm a bog warrior!
I struggled with my pond water for years. I had a handful of different filters, including a couple of UV lights.
I tried homemade filters, store bought filters.
I wasted so much time cleaning those things out and so much money purchasing them. What a waste! If I only knew about bogs 10-12 years ago, my life would have simpler and I'd have more money in the bank.

In the the Spring of 2020, I had two pressure filters running and a UV light. My water was solid green. Too many fish. They keep multiplying.

I was inspired by @addy1 to add on a bog filter.
My water has never been this clear. And practically zero maintenance. No more filter pads to rinse. No more green water.

Edit:
Oh, I forgot to mention....my pond is around 1,800 gallons. So it has less water than yours. You don't have any koi, so that's a plus. They create a lot of waste.
YES! Bog Warriors unite!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
About 3 weeks later and my water has turned brown.
Did I create the problem? Flow issue probably yes by adding the 2nd filter mat but the brown water issue I don’t think so
The hardest concept that i see on this site when people have issues is they all want a quick fix. When you are looking at a bog filter there is no quick fix. It can clear the water pretty quickly but the balance will take months, Providing you supply the needed equipment and setup.
When you take a manufactured filter that comes with a 1" pad and you double that up you are going to reduce the flow like you said and that reduction of turn over can have huge effect on one's pond. Because only HALF or Less the flow is making its way through the filter this can easily cause the water parameters to change drastically and one of the first signs could be brown algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
whats the best treatment option?

More plants. The answer to any algae is more plants. And not in pots - in the pond. When you naturalize your plants in the pond, they take up nutrients much more efficiently than when they are potted. Turn 'em loose - no soil required - and let them do their thing!

not a big chemical fan
Well you've come to the right place!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve actually tossed some of the lettuce out….it’s taking over

I’ll stop for now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
FROM YOUR PICTURE I DON'T SEE A PROBLEM. There's a big difference between a pond and a pool . you could have an issue im just not seeing one in the pic

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water clarity - We can’t even see the shelf at two feet also when the sun is on it you can see the particulates in the water

GBBUDD - I have a pool and the pond and am well aware of the difference

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you can see particulate matter in the water column it’s not algae, it’s just fine sediment… there are no quick fixes. The quilt batting will eventually get the particulate matter out of the water column, as long as you figure out where it came from and fixed the problem unless it was a one time event, ie dirt off the blocks and rock placed around the pond. (unlikely from your plant pots, unless something knocked them over).

Also, don’t mistake water quality for water clarity, one has nothing to do with the other. Your pond isn’t even close to being mature, it’s still finding it’s balance, establishing its biofilm, it may even turn pea soup green on you still,( initially this is a good thing it is all part of the maturation process of a pond) but have patience it will clear over time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where is the pump pulling water from? Is it in the mud? Silt can be from run-off of dirt entering after rain. Maybe move the pick up for the pump (not familiar with your setup) or create a plastic box/bin or use a 5 gallon (drill a ton of holes into it) with a lid, and line it with the porous foam strips meant for gutters to keep leaves from getting in the downspout. I've used those in a 5 gallon with high volume sump pump and flow was uninhibited. Did this to distribute suction over entire 5 gallon vs. a single 2" pipe inlet to avoid clogging could probably be a decent pre filter though I've yet to install one on my pond pump.

I'm gonna say 1" isn't enough or you wouldn't be having a problem right now. For what it's worth, I have somewhere between 15k and 20k gallons in my pond. I didn't want to mess with a bog either. Currently using a single 55 gallon food-grade barrel. Ran 2" pvc into the upper side area of barrel, created a spray bar (it's not pressurized, but distributes the flow evenly) to do a top-down deal. Cannibalized an old reusable home furnace filter (very thin, fine-hole vinyl screens and a 1/4" foam sheet; filter frame unscrewed apart) and running old pillow poly fill (one pillow worth; I split the polyfill down the middle, so instead of 8" it like a 4" mat if dry). Basically the vinyl screens + 1/4" sit atop the polyfill to protect it from spray bar. Poly fill sits atop aluminum screen which is wedged into the barrel. Below aluminum screen is another screen with sponges evenly laid out (the blue scrub type; cheap porous sponge disintegrates into globs; guessing bacteria eat it) and sandwiched together. Very bottom is lava rock. I opted to run dual 2" outlets a little over a foot above bottom, and have 90 degree turn downs facing down, so water has to actually rise to exit. Pump is a technically too small for the size of the pond, but is a 4500 gph harbor freight pump with FULL 2" threaded into it and feeding filter, running 24/7. Dual outlets help the water exit quickly w/o backing up. Seems to be a good balance.

About 1/3 of the pond is between 2' and 3'. Deeper end near center is over 10' with a sump hole around 12'. Pond gets full sun from around 10 am to sunset. Water is perfectly clear. Heavy rainfalls (like 1.5" in 15 minutes, which is now apparently the new normal this summer) take about 10 to 18 hours to clear up. No algae. Plants are thriving. Have around 15 resident green frogs (2nd run of late season tadpoles presently; earlier season of numerous types of tadpoles already climbed out to the lily pads, then eventually left), tossed in a few dozen bait shop, fathead minnows several weeks ago (more babies than I can count right now, easily in the hundreds, and various sizes from just born to about 2 weeks old maybe) and guessing about a dozen survived the transplant (they hide in the rock gaps and are hard to see even when swimming so hard to tell) and apparently have been spawning like crazy with the warm water given the various sizes of minnow fry now.

That polyfill on my setup is what gets the dirtiest as it's catching everything. I lay it out on a stretched aluminum screen section, then spray it with garden hose (have good, untreated well water at the spigot so can actually do that). Have a drain valve with 3/4" hose barb at very bottom of barrel if needing to drain.

My set up works and is contained to a small area of the pond right now. Everything in the pond seems to be healthy so far this year. Rain water keeps it topped-off; untreated well water via sprinkler when long periods of no rain to add 1 to 2". If wanting to do a waterfall feature, I could always run a second, small $25 pump to recirculate water to the feature area, hide a custom spray bar, etc., or relocate the barrel to exit (in my case, too much risk of water leaving the pond) there instead.

Anyhow, there's more than one way to filter a pond. Consider adding some poly fill if possible. If your setup backs up, it either can't get the water out fast enough, or possibly the filtration media is too compressed under the weight, too dense, holes are too fine in the foam, etc..

Ask a Question