Add ons

Reaction score
I want to add onto my exisiting pond with like an offshoot, how do I do that without distrubing the orginial pond?

Reaction score
Hmm... that's a tough one. I think you would either have to empty the whole thing and redo it. I don't see how you can actually add on without doing that.

Another option would be to dig another pond that looks like it is connected to your existing pond and 'hide' the wall between them with rocks or a little bridge or something. It would give the illusion of a larger pond.

Reaction score
What about connecting with a bog or trough? That would allow you to make an off shoot and have them technically connected. Plus you would have the benefit of chosing from a larger variety of plants.

Reaction score
I've been thinking of adding on to my pond as well, like perhaps having a small stream run into it. My yard is sloped downhill, so I think it will be do-able.

Reaction score
I'm glad yall are trying it. It will help me to descide if I can do my large pond now and wait until later to do my small pond and stream. Hope all goes well.

Reaction score
I won't be doing anything this year, it's getting time to cover mine with a net to keep the leaves out and figure out what to do with my plants for the winter.

Reaction score
Here was my plan

Details - enlarging a pond
I have a 12 x 7 foot pond, that is two years old. I want to make it larger, and am considering a project where I would dig out the area next to the pond, the bring down teh area between the pond to 'join' two liners. So here is my plan...I want to about double the size of the pond, so the other area would be abou the same size, 12 x 7, but maybe a bit deeper (3 feet, and less terraced sides. So some details about the current pond.

12 x 7 feet, about 2 feet deep, with a waterfall, and a skimmer, running about 3000 gals per hour to the falls.

My plan.

1. Dig out the new pond, about 1 foot from the top corner of the old pond.
2. Drain the exising pond down enought so I can break down the 'bridge' of land between the two ponds (maybe a foot or so).
3. Place the liner in the new pond and use a piece of linger to join the two ponds.
4. I may need to add some sort of pump in the skimmer to run some water to a water feature (small water fall) in the other pond area...so there is some movement through the two areas...have not worked that through yet...

does this plan sound like it will work? I so much would like to read a detail description of someone else extending their pond in some fashion to get some ideas etc.

Thanks,
Chris

Reaction score
You will want to make sure you seal the two liners together to make one.

That would work and would be the way I'd do it.

Your other option is to build the new pond higher ... pumping water out of the existing, into the new, and having some type of waterfall flowing back into the new pond.

Ask a Question