Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In an established pond the beneficial bacteria is growing everywhere - not just in the filter. I don't think saving the filter pads will really make or break the pond at this point.

Reaction score
I know it's only been two weeks since adding koi (and feeding 1x a day) but I have been checking the water parameters every two days.
AMN 0
NI 0
NA 5
PHOS 0
PH 7.5

Everything looks good (for now) while I continue to plan out additional filtration ideas. Right now the plan is to use a 3500-4000gph solids pump on the floor likely going to a sand/gravel drum filter. I am removing the 2 tetra box filters on the pond floor but I would like to keep the pump in the pond and change the plumbing. Current setup has that 1000gph pump flowing from 2 tetra box filters and out of a little frog statue and fountain. I watched a few videos about container bogs and I would like to use the 1000gph pump for a small bog that gravity flows back to the pond. Is a 1000gph pump with 7 feet of lift enough pump for a 50 or 100 gallon container bog?

The 2 tetra filters have 3 filter pads in each box. Any ideas how I can re-use them to keep the beneficial bacteria that has been growing on them when I remove the filter box?
I use the harbor freight 2500 GPH in water pump for my 1000g pond. It's in it's forth year and running strong so far.

It's in a black egg crate that's covered in a mesh bag. I didn't build a skimmer box when I made the pond years back so the mesh is the only "prefilter" i have. I only need to clean it once a year though. This pumps to my S&G filter 20 feet away.. and even with that i have a valve to slow the water down some.

I'd run the tetra boxes for a while in tandem with a new setup just so you don't get a big drop in bio activity... especially if you are overstocked.

Ask a Question