Added a few koi to a established goldfish pond

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I sourced black aluminum tubing online and then they sell plastic joints for it. So you just cut and push for it together. Then on the underside is a series of stainless steel screws on which the netting is pulled tight.I just have the larger section with a hinged side. The smaller side i just left off if needed

It’s raised off the water enough that a heron can walk on the taught 1” netting and still not get the fish. I found out and tested the weight and size of beak etc before setting the height. Plus pond life … frogs can come and go and squirrels and such can still get a drink.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. Yes I sourced black aluminum tubing online and then they sell plastic joints for it. So you just cut and push for it together. Then on the underside is a series of stainless steel screws on which the netting is pulled tight.I just have the larger section with a hinged side. The smaller side i just left off if needed

It’s raised off the water enough that a heron can walk on the taught 1” netting and still not get the fish. I found out and tested the weight and size of beak etc before setting the height. Plus pond life … frogs can come and go and squirrels and such can still get a drink.
It looks professional!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Now they aren’t pretty compared to bog gardens

I think that's a good starting point there - I've seen so many lovely ponds with big, unsightly barrel filters or tons of visible plumbing. Just not something I would enjoy seeing. A bog is a workhorse with a pretty face!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have one of those Tetra box filters. It's somewhere in my shed. I used it in my first pond that was only 300 gallons. They are way too small and you'll be constantly pulling them out of the water to rinse the pads.

I built a bigger pond and used two pressure filters in tandom and a UV light. Even with all that, I struggled with green water.

I added a bog, sold my filters/UV and never looked back.

Now I enjoy my almost maintenance free pond. No more pads to rinse and crystal clear water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have one of those Tetra box filters. It's somewhere in my shed. I used it in my first pond that was only 300 gallons. They are way too small and you'll be constantly pulling them out of the water to rinse the pads.

I built a bigger pond and used two pressure filters in tandom and a UV light. Even with all that, I struggled with green water.

I added a bog, sold my filters/UV and never looked back.

Now I enjoy my almost maintenance free pond. No more pads to rinse and crystal clear water.

dayum; 'bout time the Prez of the BFC checked in!!! Where ya been, PJ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ha!
I guess I've been busy!

Been catching up on some home improvements that are way overdue.

Been out boating...gotta have some fun too!

One thing for sure....I'm not out by the pond rinsing filter pads!

I think you need a few winkie smilies at the end, PJ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
My kids have been bugging me ever since building my pond that they wanted colorful koi. I was always concerned with overpopulating the pond and I didn't want to add koi after already having goldfish.

Nevertheless, I fell victim to the sad faces and we picked up a few koi and the kids are happy. Ive lost quite a few goldfish over the years to prey and the population was shrinking. I am concerned about the bioload but I feel like I have good filtration and plenty of plants.

My question is about feeding the koi. When I first started the pond I was feeding the goldfish everyday. Over time I learned they will eat almost anything in the pond and now I was feeding every 4-5 days.

The koi farm we went to was very friendly, helpful and gave a lot of advice. I know they're tank setups are much different with heavy filtration compared to residential owner but they were recommending at least two to three times a day for feeding.

I suppose from their point of view there's nothing wrong with it and it will help koi grow bigger much faster. But from a homeowners point of view I could see the bio load from so much waste increasing exponentially and just causing problems.

Is there any reason I should be feeding the koi more often than I was originally feeding my goldfish?
I have 10 large koi ( 20-24" ) that I have had for 11 years. My pond is 3000 gal with a large Aquadyne filter. I feed them 3 times a day but small portions. Morning High protein pellets, noon Veggies and evening Romaine lettuce. They are very healthy but yes they can get large. Mine seem to have stopped growing about 2-3 years ago. I definitely agree with the others , your pond will need to be much larger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have 10 large koi ( 20-24" ) that I have had for 11 years. My pond is 3000 gal with a large Aquadyne filter. I feed them 3 times a day but small portions. Morning High protein pellets, noon Veggies and evening Romaine lettuce. They are very healthy but yes they can get large. Mine seem to have stopped growing about 2-3 years ago. I definitely agree with the others , your pond will need to be much larger.
Great diet you are providing.
How do you feed them the Romaine Lettuce?
Do you chop it into pieces or just throw whole leaves in there?

Yeah, it's strange. Some koi seem to just keep growing and others just stop.
I have some that have stopped growing at 12"-14". I have one monster female, she's way bigger, especially her girth. I think the females tend to grow larger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the females tend to grow larger.
That's definitely my excuse. ;)

It's too bad someone hasn't caught on to the trend of breeding koi that stay small for our less than massive garden ponds. They are gorgeous fish, we obviously all love them, and I think it would really be a moneymaker. Like the "mini-doodle" craze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

It's too bad someone hasn't caught on to the trend of breeding koi that stay small for our less than massive garden ponds. They are gorgeous fish, we obviously all love them, and I think it would really be a moneymaker. Like the "mini-doodle" craze.
I just told my husband yesterday that I think we should get into producing 'teacup koi'. :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Great diet you are providing.
How do you feed them the Romaine Lettuce?
Do you chop it into pieces or just throw whole leaves in there?

Yeah, it's strange. Some koi seem to just keep growing and others just stop.
I have some that have stopped growing at 12"-14". I have one monster female, she's way bigger, especially her girth. I think the females tend to grow larger.
I cut the end of the bottom off and then take 1-2 leaves and tear pieces off and throw it in the pond. They seem to inhale it. They go to the bottom and chew it and then back for more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A

Agree. when it happens i'll start with 3

Ask a Question