Added aquaponics ibc tanks to existing pond

Reaction score
Country
Australia
After doing some more research and investigating in the pond i found 1 dead fingerling and some uneaten food, if this were to contribute to the small ammonia spike, why would I not be seeing nitrite aswell?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me, that would be more evidence that you have no beneficial bacteria. There seems to be a lack of bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrite.

For some reason the bacteria has died off and your pond needs to cycle again.

Maybe someone else has another idea, but I think you have lost your bacterial colony.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Something odd is definitely happening i have another aquaponic tank cycling (separateto the system in question), I have added a handful of fish feed. And a few dead yabbies and in 2 weeks I have no sign of cycling starting!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there any ammonia showing up? It can take several weeks for the nitrogen cycle to be completed. I've not had one to get established in less than 2 months.

Low pH and low KH will definitely slow or even inhibit the process, as will low temperatures.

Are you using liquid testing kits? The strips are really not accurate enough to be of much use.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is there any ammonia showing up? It can take several weeks for the nitrogen cycle to be completed. I've not had one to get established in less than 2 months.

Low pH and low KH will definitely slow or even inhibit the process, as will low temperatures.

Are you using liquid testing kits? The strips are really not accurate enough to be of much use.
No im getting 0ppm of ammonia using liquid tests. Ph is 8 and water temp is 19 degrees Celsius.

I just dont know about the main pond a few days ago ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were all 0ppm now I have ammonia but nothing else!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If there are plants in the new aquaponics tank, it could be that they are taking up the ammonia. If that is the case it wouldn't show up on the test.

The older pond seems to need to cycle again. I would use Prime or Safe to protect the fish and make sure the pH doesn't fall below 7.0. I like to keep my pH level at 8.2 or 8.3 and my KH at least around 200ppm. My filter works best in that range and there is some cushion with the pH if I slack off and don't keep up with the KH as well as I should.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Urine is. Not beneficial in any way I am aware of except to try and get a system a shock and to get bacteria growing. I see it this way dairy farmers do not collect urine . But they do collect and spread all over there fields solid waste. With the small pond that you have for the large mount of fish that you have. I wouldnt think you would have a deficiency for growing even hydroponicly. I know a type of rush that I have that is barely affected by winter does great untill about the end of may where the other plants have now reestablished and once that happens the rush starts to turn yellow from what i believe is a lack of Ballanced nutrients..are many compounds being replaced by the fish sure but are the lesser componds like copper a very key element in wetland growth being maintained or replaced probably not..

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi it's been a couple of weeks so thought I'd give a reply to say thanks and an answer for people reading this in the future.

WaterGardener was correct, my existing ponds bacteria died and I had to start it again so I added Seachem Stability and prime. Within a few days i started to get trace nitrite and my ammonia dropped and is now at next to 0ppm my nitrite has been quiet high for about 5 days now but my nitrate is up at 80ppm so I would say another few days ill start to see my nitrite drop

The fish all seem happy I have stopped feeding until it sorts its self out completely.

So a quick thank you again to everyone who replied, especially WaterGardener.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Urine is. Not beneficial in any way I am aware of except to try and get a system a shock and to get bacteria growing. I see it this way dairy farmers do not collect urine . But they do collect and spread all over there fields solid waste. With the small pond that you have for the large mount of fish that you have. I wouldnt think you would have a deficiency for growing even hydroponicly. I know a type of rush that I have that is barely affected by winter does great untill about the end of may where the other plants have now reestablished and once that happens the rush starts to turn yellow from what i believe is a lack of Ballanced nutrients..are many compounds being replaced by the fish sure but are the lesser componds like copper a very key element in wetland growth being maintained or replaced probably not..

I just thought I'd clarify, I was peeing in my aquaponics before I new my bacteria had died to increase the amount of ammonia to be converted into nitrate to feed the plants In the aquaponics. Alot of people do this and some even run there aquaponics solely off urine with small supplements!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry you have to go through that cycle again, but glad you realized what went wrong.

Keep an eye on your KH so you don't have a pH crash and have to do it all again.

Ask a Question