Replacing pump, liner and adding bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Good afternoon,
My liner started leaking so I've replaced it with a new liner. Used a 20' x 25' EPDM and it fit perfectly. My pond is about 3' deep in most places. My submersible pump just blew up and I'm considering replacing it with an external pump. Added an attached bog that is 13' x 8' x 16". My pump will be sending the water up and over the bog wall and then the water will flow out and over a waterfall into the pond. I have 19 goldfish currently. New babies every year but give them away and try and stay with just the nineteen bigger ones. I've been considering a waterfall too but might need to wait until my back heals up from putting on the new liner. I've read all I can find on here about external pumps but thought maybe I could get some advice particular to my setup. Thanks for any advice. It will be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20200603_065012.jpg

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@addy1 uses an external pump. I like the Danner Manufacturing pumps because they can be used internally or externally but probably not in the size you need. I like internal pumps only because of the safety against the line ever springing a leak; I live in 8a even though 18” is considered the freeze line due to occasional temps in the teens, and do run my pump to the bog all year round.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are going to love your bog. Mine is working like a champ. Its 5'x10' and the pea gravel is 6" deep. Our designs are similiar. I used 50 plants, one for each square foot of the bog and a heck of a mix of plants. I'd love to see yours up and running.

Attachments

• 20200609_122028.jpg
    20200609_122028.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 96
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You are going to love your bog. Mine is working like a champ. Its 5'x10' and the pea gravel is 6" deep. Our designs are similiar. I used 50 plants, one for each square foot of the bog and a heck of a mix of plants. I'd love to see yours up and running.
Oh my gosh Mike. That's beautiful. My new pump showed up yesterday so I'm hoping to get it going this weekend. I'll post pictures just as soon as I can

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I was just reading another thread about bog building using blocks and it was mentioned that they needed a base and rebar and concrete to combat heaving and such issues. I don't know if you can tell from my picture or not but I used the landscaping blocks that have the lips on the back. And then just put the liner in. It has been filled with water only for quite some time and send to be holding perfectly. Before I fill it with rock am I inviting trouble in the long run?

Ask a Question