Adding salt to pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I seem to be getting conflicting opinions on added salt to a new pond. Should be adding salt to 600 gallon pond or not and if so how much. If salt is added is it the same salt as used in salt water aquariums.

Thanks
Bossman

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No need to add salt. Koi and goldfish are freshwater fish. Salt can be used in a treatment tank if needed. When I started my ponds 20+ years ago, it was the rule to add salt. It can only be removed by lots of water changes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll second that. Salting a pond is old style pond keeping. Newer research shows that keeping fish in a constantly salted pond can in fact make the parasites resistant to salt treatment if and when you need it. Much like our overuse of antibiotics makes the bacteria we encounter resistant to any antibiotics and leaves us with no treatment options. Like @mrsclem said, a salt bath can be very useful on a fish that needs it outside of the pond.

Ask a Question