Advantage bead filters

Reaction score
Well, I was going to go the DIY bog route but it seems like the more I read the more of a PITA that filter becomes over the years thus I think I am going to go with a Advantage bead filter, plug n play stup. Do you think I shoudl spend a little more & get the setup rated for 6,000 gallons or is the 4,000 gallon setup OK? My pond is about 3500 gallons (11x15x2.5ft) & I figure there is a good chance it will be stocked more on the heavy side. Presently only 1 koi (no clue what he is) & 12 goldfish/etc.

Presently I have a skimmer box & bottom drain with the b-drain going to a 100g rubbermaid tub. They T together to a Dart/Snapper pump. I was going to swap out that pump & run the Advantage plug-n-play setup in it's place.

Reaction score
just surfing the net.... various sites, but I guess it depends on what one plans to keep in the pond.

several threads I read on DIY bog filters is that the gravel needs to be removed/cleaned every once in a while otherwise it can get to clogged full of stuff/junk. Kinda like a under gravel filter in a fishtank, musy be cleaned & also plants/etc need to be harvested/cut.

Thinking that sounds like more maintenance then a bead filter...... backwash every week or so

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
backwashing is all i do on my DIY filter. and i keep large koi in a small pond, 1200 gals.. 5- 20" koi 1- 20" pieco, 1- 6" koi and over 50- 3" koi.....no problem! too many people have uneducated opinions on things...if i dont or havent personally used something, my opinion on it isnt worth crap is it?.neither is theirs. there are many here on thius forum who'll tell you the same...they use DIY filters with great success, and very little maintainence....but if youve got money to burn?..........bogs i cant comment on....i dont have one!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
Well, I was going to go the DIY bog route but it seems like the more I read the more of a PITA that filter becomes over the years thus I think I am going to go with a Advantage bead filter, plug n play stup. Do you think I shoudl spend a little more & get the setup rated for 6,000 gallons or is the 4,000 gallon setup OK? My pond is about 3500 gallons (11x15x2.5ft) & I figure there is a good chance it will be stocked more on the heavy side. Presently only 1 koi (no clue what he is) & 12 goldfish/etc.

Presently I have a skimmer box & bottom drain with the b-drain going to a 100g rubbermaid tub. They T together to a Dart/Snapper pump. I was going to swap out that pump & run the Advantage plug-n-play setup in it's place.
i would go with the large one if i were you ... also if you send Dodad a pm on this forum he will be able to help you more he sells them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Advantage bead filters are the best pressurized filter there is. I takes just a few minutes to clean them and your back in business. no getting dirty or wet.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I guess if you have the money do the best possible. We have to remember, this is a RICH mans hobby. Those of us who do it on the cheap just save more money.

Reaction score
thanks for the info everyone...... yea seems like the older we get our hobbies just get more & more expensive

I don't have the money, been w/o a paycheck for 14 months & counting....... but I can let work pay for it..... :) I think I will go ahead and order the P&P6000 setup, only a few hundred more & I get the larger filter. I also found someone locally to purchase it from otherwise I would of gone through DoDad.... thanks again.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
My tax returns are going to buy me a bead filter. I love the 2 minute back washing and not getting dirty and/or wet. I've been told that it isn't the size of your pond that determines the size of your bead filter but the amount of fish you currently have or are planning to have.

Reaction score
yea, I also want ease of maintenance & everything I have read the Advantage stuff is by far the best out there. A friend wants me to buy some Ultima II filters from him that he used on a few large aquariums (Shark tanks) but from what I read on paper Advantage is the way to go.

I have to clear a bit of room on my credit card before I can buy it. Probably by the time I can afford to get the setup it's going to be to cold to install & use.

My take is both play into account since smaller filters might not be able to turn the pond over enough per hr even with a light load. I think I will do the plug n play 6000 setup which will be on a 3000-3500g pond. I figure more then likely it's going to be more torward the heavy load then light so I might as well get the bigger setup, especially since it's only a few hundred more

Reaction score
I am sure he will sell the Ultima filters for a really good price..... they are in Columbus Ohio

My costs so far on the pond is
Line $275 (25x20ft)
Pipe $100 +/- (includes 50ft of 2in flex PVC & fitting)
Rubbermaid tub/vortex $80
Koi Toilet $175
Skimmer Box $160
fish - they were all free

Rocks & all that stuff was here when I purchased the place

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I use the skippy filter and have had to do very little to it all summer. I just installed a flush valve but if you don't want to get dirty or wet do it before you set up the filter. It has kept my pond water crystal clear all summer. I went with the cheap route rather than buying a filter. Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Wow viggen, you got all your stuff at super prices. I'm jealous. I just haven't had the luck keeping my pond clear with the 55 gallon set up. and I'm getting lazy(er) in my advanced age and just don't want to spend all the time on pond maintenance. just want to enjoy my kids. I do have to save up for the equipment but eventually will have it.

Ask a Question