When to Change Bead Filter Media

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a 3 year old , season 4, GCTek 2.5 AlpaOne bead filter .... http://www.aquabead.com/AlphaONE-250-Filter/AlphaONE-250-Filter-from-GCTek-p-43.html

Awesome Unit .... Soooo, the company, actually owner who makes this says there is no reason to ever change the
media. He sells it but says it never needs changing. I usually think, never say never but he says never.
Does this make sense. Years back, I had many different types of filtration from vegetable gravity filters to you name it. Used lava rock back then as media and changed it every so often.

Any suggestions on changing bio media such as this .... http://www.aquabead.com/Media/BioGems-Media-p-275.html

Being quite inert, also expensive for a cubic foot, it isn't deteriorating anytime soon I would imagine.
Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Still using the Spring-flo strapping that came with my Savio filter- 20 years ago! If it isn't broke- --

Wow - Hope I'm still here in 20 years let alone worry about media .... hahaha Thanks as that kind of answers the question....

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So my Savio is the large skimmer with the curved filter pad. With yours, you fill that up with Spring-flo which is a waterfall???
Yes, I'm guessing yours is the skimmer. With mine the spring-flo goes in the tank with a filter pad on top. I think its a 20" weir for the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, I'm guessing yours is the skimmer. With mine the spring-flo goes in the tank with a filter pad on top. I think its a 20" weir for the waterfall.

Yes mine is the larger Savio with filter and I have an extra Uvinex UV in one side. My savio T's into my waterfall and joins the water from the bead filter which both create my falls. Shut down bead for winter and leave the savio running 24/7 -365. Great system ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a GCTEK 2.5 that has been running 24/7/365 and I have never changed the beads. I did put a new blower on it a couple of years ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a GCTEK 2.5 that has been running 24/7/365 and I have never changed the beads. I did put a new blower on it a couple of years ago.

That's interesting as I have the AlphaOne 2.5 from GcTek. The blower works but the brackets holding the motor brushes and other parts rusted and corroded from dampness after only 3 seasons. I take it in for the winter. I emailed Gary at GcteK and he couldn't get the parts and sent me a new blower, but the larger 1-1/2 HP ... I didn't expect that .... This winter I rebuilt the 1HP blower and used stainless parts. Now I have a spare. I'm going to take it off when not using it so it will lengthen the life. He suggested that. Could be moisture coming up from the spring valve?
Otherwise, great system ....

btw - Nice website .... I bookmarked it ... looks familiar!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mine is outside but under cover. I've sent quite a bit to NY.

Did you mean you do quite a bit of business shipping to NY ? Just went through the site. Quite an extensive product line.
Def booked for immediate future. What went on your blower. Did the inside plates and things rust at all on the old one?

Ask a Question