Is there a Water pump that can pump one bead of water in the air one at a time?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello:

I realize this is a very random question, but I am wanting to retro fit a water pump to shoot one bead of water in the air one at a time, instead of a steady stream of water.
This is for an indoor project and there will be no fish involved.
I just want to have the motorized pump in water and have the ability of the pump to shoot one bead of water in the air one at a time. Not that high as the height doesn't matter.
I can make the stream thinner, but I can't get it to shoot one bead in the air at a time.

Any help is appreciated.

David

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-12_14-48-10.gif
@ilzho but I sure can't help ya on this one!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@ilzho - well welcome to the forum and you might win the prize of the most unusual question ever!

When you say "one bead of water" do you mean one drop? Or one stream? Maybe if you describe the project you have in mind we could be more helpful! I'm just not sure what a bead of water is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi.
Yes. One drop.
I’m trying to find a pump that can pulsate one drop upwards at a time. Not a stream.
I would like to have some control of the strength going upward, but not a big deal.

What I am wanting to do is have one drop being pulsated upward and I will have water drops above that dropping downward into the pulsated drop going upward, so they collide.

Thanks,
David

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow. Sounds... intriguing! But sorry - I have no idea if such a thing exists! Maybe you will have to invent one!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm thinking you would have to attach something to the end of the pump tube where the water comes out that blows up like a little balloon or something and then when it gets full it spits out a bead of water in the air by pressure. Don't ask me to show how to do this as I can only go so far in my puny little brain,lol! it would prolly cost you a million dollars to invent it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe get this ant to shove it upwards for ya :cool:
ant.jpg

or use a strobe light:

Using a reciprocating pump and a strobe light, we can make water drops appear to fall down (or up) in slow motion. This illusion is due to the periodic nature of the pump: each droplet forced out of the tube is almost identical to the preceding droplet so our eyes perceive the droplets moving slowly rather than falling quickly. You also can freeze-frame this video and use the ruler to make a crude measurement of the acceleration of gravity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can easily get single drops of water by using an IV drip set. Adjust the flow down to single drops with the rolling clamp. Propel the drop upwards by having it fall onto a rigid airline tube connected to a powerful air pump. You could also explore an ultrasound sprayer. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Stephen

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you talking about the pumps they use commercially that do one stream at a time like in parks and like in Las Vegas .They did one in Danville and the tax payers were not happen with the cost .4 pumps that do synchronized streams cost us 15 thousand dollars and then they have to be maintained by a pro .at a cost of 600 hundred dollars a year .I wonder how much it costs to run it but they do not tell us that

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, @ilzho! Sounds interesting. I’m curious, though, where you got this idea — have you actually seen this before? And if so, where and under what context? Can you post a video or some pictures?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Might try an electric water shutoff and cycle it on a timer system. Also have a header tank with air in it to keep the flow and pressure from the pump so the water can burst from the exit point. Keep the shutoff close to the exit for better pulse effect.
Not sure of the cycle rate you would want but I am sure there are shutoff that can handle short cycles. The electronics side should not be hard to build or find. Might have to use a relay to handle the shutoff if the power draw is to great for the controller.
Sounds like a good idea, might do this myself one day.

Ask a Question