Advice on the mechanics of [water flow] and plumbing exteral prefilter to a Skippy

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
LOL, I do enjoy learning new things, just why do things have to all run together -- then it starts to get CON-FUS-ING :barefoot:

Things 'run together' because in an aquatic eco-system everything is inter-connected. When one drills down to the micro-chemical level things get even more complex and inter-twined.

Plankton includes both algae and animal species.
Diatoms are not harmful at all.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Things 'run together' because in an aquatic eco-system everything is inter-connected. When one drills down to the micro-chemical level things get even more complex and inter-twined.

Plankton includes both algae and animal species.
Diatoms are not harmful at all.
Grrrrr! But my little brain isn't programed to handle & comprehend! "Life" needs to be less complicated -- after all, it's only a little pond with some fish...... That are my pets, and that I've taken on the responsibility to care for...... Why do I keep asking questions!!!!! :bookworm: Which leads to more questions.....:facepalm::nailbiting::eek: >>> pulling hair from head <<< :banghead::banghead:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Grrrrr! But my little brain isn't programed to handle & comprehend! "Life" needs to be less complicated -- after all, it's only a little pond with some fish...... That are my pets, and that I've taken on the responsibility to care for...... Why do I keep asking questions!!!!! :bookworm: Which leads to more questions.....:facepalm::nailbiting::eek: >>> pulling hair from head <<< :banghead::banghead:
"Enquiring minds need to know".

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I probably didn't state that as clearly as I should have. The outlet for the mechanical filter must be large enough to gravity feed the volume of water that is being pump-fed into the mechanical filter. The required size of this outlet will depend on the gph and plumbing size (1-1/2") at the inlet.

As to your TDS (Total Suspended Solids), do you presently have any mechanical filtration between pump and 'bog'?
No. The pump splits off to the bog and Skippy, so the bog itself is its own mech. filter.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Maggie, earlier I said I didn't think you could do a S/G from a internal pump. I was talking to someone earlier that is running a S/G through a internal pump with no problem, The issue is the pump makes all the particles smaller as it grinds them up, He said what he does is run thicker sand bed and flush more often with less force to remove what is caught. I talked to him a little while ago and was not only asking questions about your pond but mine as well. I have been wanting to run 2 S/G filters and he suggested I try a mid water intake and external pump to the barrels for me. When I ask him about yours he said to make sure that your flow rate is measured out to between 1500 gph -2500 gph through the gravel for the S/G filter to be most effective. Although I think all this will improve water quality and with improved water quality less health issues I'm still thinking and trying to come up with any other ideas on the fish issue itself. Something is still not being picked up on and I don't know what it could be now.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan Periphyton..... Won't it crowd out the surfaces that the beneficial (ammonia-eating bacteria) need? I've forgotten the terms, but one was for the detritus-eating critters, and the other was for the ammonia-eating critters. Both are necessary, but if there's too much of the former, then the latter won't have a place to live.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
.... "Life" needs to be less complicated -- after all, it's only a little pond with some fish........

I smiled when I read that.

One of the reasons that I enjoy looking after our contained aquatic enviroments is because they are so complicated.
Observing the interactions of the various life forms that balance each other out so higher life forms can exist I find fascinating.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
@Meyer Jordan Periphyton..... Won't it crowd out the surfaces that the beneficial (ammonia-eating bacteria) need? I've forgotten the terms, but one was for the detritus-eating critters, and the other was for the ammonia-eating critters. Both are necessary, but if there's too much of the former, then the latter won't have a place to live.....

Did you get a chance to read that book I''ve mentioned before - Ecology of the Planted Aquarium?
It displays a cutaway of the biofilm layer and explains why the biofilm forms where it does.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Absolutely not! If you will read the companion articles that I wrote and posted under the Articles section "Periphyton Part 1 and Part 2" you will see how biofilm, algae and micro-invertebrates work as one community in providing the foundation of a pond's eco-system.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No. The pump splits off to the bog and Skippy, so the bog itself is its own mech. filter.
Two things here-
A mechanical filter is usually placed on the intake side of the pump, this will eliminate, as Sissy says, any reduction in the particle size of the debris by the grinding action of the pump making it easier to filter out.

Secondly, and to me most important, is the fact that a 'bog' filter is most effective when used primarily as a 'polishing' bio-filter. Any mechanical filtration should occur prior to the water entering the 'bog'. This insures optimum flow, minimizes any possible future clogging and 'dead spots' by sustaining a diffused flow throughout the 'bog'.

Ask a Question