Need advice on moving a Koi fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 12 inch koi in my 50gal tank and I was wondering if it would be possible to move it to an outside pond. The fish has lived inside all of its life.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes, just acclimate it like you would when you bring home a new fish. Koi are more suited to ponds due to the size they can attain quickly.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Just be sure that you have permission to put the koi in another pond — assuming it’s someone else’s pond. Your koi would be much happier in a pond!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Just be sure that you have permission to put the koi in another pond — assuming it’s someone else’s pond. Your koi would be much happier in a pond!
Good point, I was thinking they were going to move outside to their pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good point, I was thinking they were going to move outside to their pond.
I was assuming (which is never a good thing to do), that they would have already moved the fish if they had a more suitable place for it.....which is why I threw that in there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 12 inch koi in my 50gal tank and I was wondering if it would be possible to move it to an outside pond. The fish has lived inside all of its life.
We built a tank outside with 2 x 4's and a liner . Anything new to them, be sure to prevent him from jumping. Mine jumped out. He died

Ask a Question