Advice, please, for a fish that I almost killed.... :(

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is one of my Shube babies I'm keeping in an indoor tank until they're ready [or I think they're ready] to move outdoors. He's probably at or a little under 1/2" long.

Here's what I think happened: I have a slice of Matala pressed against the back of the tank, held in place by the HOB filter intake tube. I have a long airstone that runs underneath the Matala.

After I did a water change last night, I noticed that the Matala had been displaced away from the glass. I went to straighten it up, and FOUND ONE OF THE FRY STUCK BETWEEN THE GLASS AND THE FILTER! It was alive, but I had no idea how long it had been like that, nor if it had been traumatized [no evidence], or what it's medical state was. I figured it at least had been out of the water for the time period it took me to empty & refill the tank. It was moist, but looked very dehydrated [flat & limp -- I actually have no idea what a dehydrated fish would look like....]..

I put it in a smaller tank [with the smaller fry] and put it underneath a net that I positioned over the air stone -- my version of fish CPR! The net was to keep the fish in place, in the bubble stream, so I wouldn't have to hold it. After about 10 minutes, I took it out of the net -- it was a little perkier -- and left it alone for the night, still in the smaller tank. It stayed on the bottom, on its side.

This morning, it was still alive -- I was shocked -- but very unstable, wanting to lie on its side rather than float upright. It didn't move much on its own, but if stimulated, it was reactive. So, from there I put it in a small bucket with an air stone. I mixed a little salt in some fresh water and added that, and kept the water level very low, like just above the dorsal fin. For some reason, I thought this might help it stay upright better.

This afternoon, it looks a lot better and IS staying upright. I put some baby brine shrimp in with it and I couldn't swear, but I think it ate a little.

If he doesn't make it, well, it was meant to be, so no heroic efforts here [I've already done more than some would have], but :doctor: wondering if there anything else that I can be doing to help this little guy along during his recovery? :nurse:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
TurtleMommy our heart bleeds for you and you must feel awful about this :(
We can try to help but I think your already doing your best for the little guy , who I sadly cant make you feel better about time is going to tell lets see how he is in the morning becuse you should see change before them for better or for worse

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Poor little fellow. You've done the best you can do and sure hope he makes it!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, everyone! I had no idea what to do for him, and the internet wasn't much help, but guessing I had some kind of instincts that kicked in. I'll pass the well-wishes on for you.

Believe it or not, I think he's doing much better! He's upright 100% now, and when I try to touch him, he reacts instantly by swimming away -- like a WELL fish!

This time yesterday, I was sure he was a goner!

I gave him fresh water tonight, but added a little more than before. If he's doing this well tomorrow, I'll see if I can look him over for any injuries (get out the magnifying glass!), and maybe put him back with his tank mates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, everyone! I had no idea what to do for him, and the internet wasn't much help, but guessing I had some kind of instincts that kicked in. I'll pass the well-wishes on for you.

Believe it or not, I think he's doing much better! He's upright 100% now, and when I try to touch him, he reacts instantly by swimming away -- like a WELL fish!

This time yesterday, I was sure he was a goner!

I gave him fresh water tonight, but added a little more than before. If he's doing this well tomorrow, I'll see if I can look him over for any injuries (get out the magnifying glass!), and maybe put him back with his tank mates.
Time is also a great healer TurtleMommy glad to hear the little guy is better , he was possibly in shock when you first rescued him and has had time to get his whits togther again (y)

Dave ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
[sounding like Abby on NCIS....] GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS!!!

The little guy made it through another night! In fact, I tried to hand-catch him and that little sucker was hard to catch, even in that small bucket!

I put him in the smaller tank, with the smaller babies for now, just to be sure, but he looks & acts perfectly normal....eating, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
[sounding like Abby on NCIS....] GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS!!!

The little guy made it through another night! In fact, I tried to hand-catch him and that little sucker was hard to catch, even in that small bucket!

I put him in the smaller tank, with the smaller babies for now, just to be sure, but he looks & acts perfectly normal....eating, etc.
What a difference a day makes eh TurtleMommy :D

Dave ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So far, so good! I moved him back in the big tank with his siblings and he never missed a beat! Of course, now that he's back, I can't tell him from any of the others..... ;)

Ask a Question