Advise Needed - Yes? or No?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hmm, so I'm the only one that thinks it's too small for shubies? lol:)
That's ok, I try to understock all of my aquariums or ponds, it's easier to control excess nutrients and fish stress/illness that way.
Call me lazy.;)
Nothing wrong with that discipline what so ever. I personally don't mind the work of having too many fish though. I enjoy it, more like therapy. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
the 2 shubi's I have in the large pond are about 6" long, have been in there for 4 years and haven't grown in the last 2 while the rest of my comets have doubled in size some are now close to 12". So I was thinking shubi's are just a smaller fish then the comets as they surly have the room to grow.

As far as the pipe idea to give them more swimming room, I haven't had any issues with predators in my 5 years ponding so I don't worry too much about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pecan. I agree and maybe Mitch you were looking at it differently because she has the fish already and is not buying new ones... So basically this is rehoming them. I'm not sure giving them up would be any more humane. You can always" test the waters" so to speak and of course if you don't go crazy with food you don't have to worry about them getting too large.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I tried to catch my two large shubunkins from the big pond with no luck. I have never been able to catch fish out of the big pond this time of year. Always have to wait until fall when the water temps cool down and the fish get slow. This time of year they are just faster and smarter than me.

I stopped by the fish place just around the corner from our house, where I purchased all my comets and shubunkins, they specialize in pond comets. This is the same place I have been taking my comets to every fall for the last few years to thin out the heard. Last fall I took about 25 down to them and when I stopped by today all my big comets from last year had been sold to fellow ponders.

Anyway, I bought 6, 1" - 2" long finned shubunkins from them and put them in the little pond. They are very cute, though they are hiding so I haven't seen much of them since I put them in a few hours ago.

I also moved a water lily from the big pond into the small pond yesterday which almost covers the entire surface giving them ample hiding places.

I figure if they get too big I can always take them back down to the fish store and trade them in for smaller shubunkins. Quite the deal for the fish store down the street. They sell me small fish and I give them back for free after they've grown significantly, then they sale them again for more money.

I should probably be on their payrolL LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wish I could find someone to take my pond babies. No one here will take them for fear of contamination. Of course, catching them is also my challenge... I got pretty wiley this spring and managed to catch a half dozen. But it involved me, in the pond, with a large container. It was quite the set up!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wish I could find someone to take my pond babies. No one here will take them for fear of contamination. Of course, catching them is also my challenge... I got pretty wiley this spring and managed to catch a half dozen. But it involved me, in the pond, with a large container. It was quite the set up!

When I do my catching in the fall I fill a big camp cooler with water and I drop in a air stone. Put all the comets I can catch in there. Then haul the cooler over in the back of my pickup. It's only about two miles so it's no big deal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The little stinkers have started to come up to surface foraging for food so I was able to get some pictures of the them today. I am also planning on building a larger pond now. I have a small one and a large one so I figured I need a medium sized one to use as a QT and a place for my koi to stay when DH and I dig the big pond deeper. Now I am thinking if these little guys get too big I move them into the medium sized pond (will be about 1000 gallons) and use the small pond as the QT. I like the idea of having a shubunkin pond.

Anyway, here they are, cute little bugger :) 6 of them about 1"-2" long and they are swimming together in a school around the little pond. I added the water lily from the big pond before I got the little guys. I have a ton a water lilies so I normally move one over in the summer.

The last picture is just a photo of their little home :)

DSCN8321.JPG
DSCN8330.JPG
DSCN8332.JPG
DSCN8335.JPG
DSCN8337.JPG
DSCN8338.JPG
DSCN8339.JPG
DSCN8340.JPG
DSCN8345.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Pecan. I agree and maybe Mitch you were looking at it differently because she has the fish already and is not buying new ones... So basically this is rehoming them. I'm not sure giving them up would be any more humane. ...

No, I understand that they are fish from pecan's present pond. Whenever I plan out an aquarium or pond, I plan for the mature size of the fish.:)
That's great, pecan, that you have a local supplier that is willing to exchange fish with you.

Ask a Question