air pump

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i was reading up on over wintering your pond and there was a bit about airpumps ..this man bought his pump indoors and fed the line back into his pond to help keep it warmer ...now i can do that as my pond is right by my window just thought i would share his idea with you

Reaction score
most decent air pumps can handle the cold. Mine stays right in my filter pit without any trouble.

But it certainly is possible to run the line indoors the way you describe. LOL!

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i guess i didnt explain it too well in the first post ... i meant it helped to keep the water warmer because it would be warmer air not cold going into the pond :biggrin:

Reaction score
maniac said:
Cold water contains more oxygen than normal summer time water, I never run an air pump in winter.

yes, cold water has more oxygen than hot water--and stagnant water (even cold) is never more oxygenated than water being pumped with bubbles.

But, aeration in the winter serves two purposes: 1) to prevent/or keep a hole open in ice without the need for a heater; and, therefore, 2) allowing for degassing when said ice forms.

I choose to aerate in winter for all these reasons.

Ask a Question