Alabama Koi Pond!

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
Hi all, just found this site, and I've sit here for 5 minutes and already learned alot. I figured I'd post, and possibly give you all some ideas, if not get some advice or ideas from someone else. I've always been interested in raising koi, but never had the money or time to do so, but now I've saved some money and going at it, here's what i have so far. I've been digging a hole for 3 days now, almost have it done, I haven't taken an exact measurement, i figure it to be about 10x6x3 but the plastic i bought to cover it from rain, was 10x25, and i found i will need about an 18x25 liner to fully cover it. I have a 2000gph sunterra pump, and a UV bio filter with 2 media sponges and some bio balls in it. I plan to run the pump, which is submersible from the deep end, to an above ground, boxed in filter, close to a waterfall. The waterfall is actually going to be an antique looking clay pot, pouring into the shallow end of the pond.
I'm currently shopping for liner, I'm finding it to be one of the most expensive things, but I'm thinking a 20 mil liner would be ok for now, due to the fact I'm probably going to expand my pond next summer. It's in a kydney shape right now, with about an 18'' depth at the top, and it drops steeply to a 3' depth. I

I'm talking to a koi breeder in Florida, and i am planning on ordering bout 8-10 koi. I would love any suggestions as to what type of plants would be good to start with, and how long i should have the pond running before i introduce the koi to the pond. I am aware of the need to dechlorinate the pond, and i am experienced in testing PH, Nitrate, and Ammonia.

Also, is it highly suggestive to add a skimmer?

I appreciate your time for reading, and any advice, suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated.

~Blake

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. I personally don't use skimmers. You lose too many fish with them. The 20 mil liner is marginal. You should consider at least a 45 mil EPDM liner. The Home Depot sells EPDM at $10.50 a foot for 15' wide material. It is actually thicker than 45 mil.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DD is right... if your gonna do it.. do it right! use the 45 mil epdm liner, unless your for sure are gonna redo it next year. i used 20 mil liner for my basement pond, but that has no exposure to any u.v rays.roots, jagged rocks or foot traffic. although i know someone whos had a pond for years with a 20 mil liner, trouble free.

mister2driver
why would you wait a month to put a couple fish in? if you dechlorinate, add beneficial bacteria and fire up the fitration, next day is o.k. just start adding plants right away too! just wait for the filter to mature and plants to get established to put in any larger fish or greater numbers.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
I greatly appreciate the feedback from this forum. I have placed my order for the 20 mil liner already. This was before i got the reply from DD. But i do also plan to expand within a year from now, and i've seen alot of people say it's a good idea for 20mil, if you plan to do so. I also agree with DD about the skimmer. I plan to be around my pond a large portion of the days, so any surface debris, leaves etc. I can pick out myself with no problem. Also, the fish I'm starting with are small, all under 4", and DD has a good point about losing koi to skimmers.

As for the wait period, I was told it would take 6 weeks to get the pond "stable". (not sure of the terminology) But i was also told, the the small koi i was purchasing would help get the pond get there. Ammonia?

appreciate your time Blake~

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well the bacteria need a food source too...hence a few fish will supply it. use microbe lifts pl gel filter innoculant to start your filter up, it will colonize the media with the appropriate bacteria much quicker than most,up to 8 times faster than some. make sure you follow its directions.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
well the bacteria need a food source too...hence a few fish will supply it. use microbe lifts pl gel filter innoculant to start your filter up, it will colonize the media with the appropriate bacteria much quicker than most,up to 8 times faster than some. make sure you follow its directions.

Is there anyway for you to gimme a link to a good purchasing site for this innoculant? If not it's ok, but it seems every time i try to look up an item for my pond, i have to fish through alot of full blown sales pitches and whatnot, not alot of hard facts and cheap prices, they all say the same thing. Maybe just a good brand name.

~Blake

Reaction score
Definitely read up on the Nitrification Cycle... Very important stuff.
Just Google it.

Fish produce ammonia as waste and ammonia is highly toxic to fish.
Bacteria will grow that consume ammonia and convert it to nitrites. Nitrites are also highly toxic to fish. Bacteria grows that convert nitrites to nitrates. Nitrates are much less toxic, but not good for your fish in high concentrations. This is called cycling your pond. The only way to lower nitrate levels is through partial water changes.

ammonia>nitrites>nitrates

Most products sold to "instantly" cycle ponds don't work very well.
Nature is good at it, but it does take time.

Google fishless cycling and read up on that. If the article pertains to aquarium cycling the same rules will also apply to ponds.

Good luck.

Dave

Reaction score
if you ordered the 20mil liner take our word for it, send it back. get the epdm 45mil. and use underlay. www.pondliner.com or ebay are great places to get liner for cheap. dont be in a hurry with your pond, do it right. you will regret the 20mil, i guarantee it.

next dechlorinate, then a bottle of beneficial bacteria, test water with test strips. then fish.

THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVISE I CAN GIVE

Ask a Question