N Alabama Water Hyacinth

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in north Alabama and am in need of some water hyacinth. Of course I can't order any because no place will ship them to Alabama. Anyone know where I can get some? I mean it's banned in Alabama because it supposed to be a nuisance but hell I've never seen any growing wild. So if anyone can point me in the closest direction to some I'd appreciate it. A place where I can buy some or heck just find it growing. I'm around the Huntsville/Decaturish area.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrDave said:
Aiding and abetting is a crime isn't it?
Please post an introduction on the appropriate thread.

Ditto, may want to try legal alternatives, Might want to check how stiff the fine is while your at it. Might make you think twice. Illeagal fish can cost upwards of $2500 per fish!

Reaction score
Jesus Christ I didn't want to start a damn smuggling ring or drop it into a lake. I just wanted to know if anyone had info on where any was growing wild nearby or a place close like south TN selling the stuff. Sorry I asked.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I don't know if you have ever dealt with dept. of wildlife and fisheries, state Agriculture dept., and the forestry dept. But please let me give you a heads up, I'd rather be busted by the FBI!
I got caught with two snakeheads, You may have heard of them, they are a nuisance fish in the northern states. I caught them in a ditch!!! brought them home and kept them for over two years, no problem. A friend of a friend came by one day and saw me feed them, he went home and told his dad. two days later I was dealing with Fish and wildlife, and the agriculture dept. Bottom line- the fish were taken and destroyed, They ransacked my Mom and Dad's home and didn't require a warrant to do so, I was taken to jail and stayed there for 7 days until a court hearing where I was fined $5000, My hunting and fishing license were pulled for 5 years, I had to do 200 hours community serv. 100 with game and fish 100 with the forestry dept. Now you may not think it's a big deal, BUT, stop and ask, is a water hyacinth really worth a big mess like that when you can get alternative plants that are legal? There is a thread posted her about plants that are legal to have in Alabama, If you want to know what kind of damage they can cause and learn what the cost is to control that plant in your home state check out the U.S. army Corp. of Engineers. I have worked directly with them and seen first hand the money they spend to keep that plant out of navigational waterways, namely the Tenn. Tombigbee waterway system. I'm not joking they get serious about it and don't play!

Oh and BTW, Jesus Christ has nothing to do with you being able to get that plant or not. Jesus Christ died as our savior, That is the government so it's where you live not what you believe.

Reaction score
So it's actually straight up illegal to possess water hyacinth in Alabama? I thought you just couldn't sell it or drop it into the public waters.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm not a expert, If in question call your local authorities. But this is not the first time this has come up about aquatic plants and water gardens.
I'm not trying to be a ass by any means. If I thought there wouldn't be a problem and knew that I wasn't greaking the law, I would send you some free.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
http://www.outdooralabama.com/education/generalinfo/ans/ansplants.cfm

second paragraph, list of illegal aquatic plants to possess

Yeah but that's what I'm talking about, it says it's prohibited from being placed into public waters not to possess.
I was just wanting to know if anyone knew of like a nearby nursery in S Tennessee or a place it was growing wild where I could just get some real quick, but if it's straight up illegal to have then forget the whole thing.
Thanks for the info. I guess go ahead and close or delete the thread. Peace!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would hate to see you get fined or go to jail. They can be real touchy about plants. And if you live near people that know the law and they see them, it is just a phone call.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fishin You are a moderator now? Congrats! I think you should put all your comments together into a book. I think a lot of people would buy it, or should buy it!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I give a $1 for every time I hear that. Not me,

But you know, I've been around water all my life, fish pretty much in most of it. I have had swimming pools too. Even when I worked offshore If I wasn't working eating or sleeping I was watching the water or fishing.
I've worked at the army water corp of engineers on filtration, Got published in a book.:cool:
I designed three different filter designs for testing dredge sediment testing, In four locations in The Mississippi River valley out of Vicksburg and Memphis, The Great Lakes out of Duluth MN, the Tenn, Tombigbee water way system, near Demopolis AL and the San Francisco Bay out of Oakland. I've worked in pet stores since my first Job and I started raising fish at 8 and I'm 47 now. I was born and raised in a small town in Miss. We lived in a subdivision that had 11 lakes and I was on the water since I was 5, fishing, skying, swimming and following the wildlife and fisheries biologist when ever they came to check the lakes. I have kept ponds both for water gardening and all natural for fishing, I've raised tropical fish, reef and saltwater, native fish and animals that needed rescue, amphibians, snakes, lizards, dogs, cats, rodents, monkeys, birds, goats, exotic cats, turtles,tarantulas, even had a octopus and I'm sure there are more that I didn't think of.
I've been bitten, had stitches,broken bones,been stung by venemous snakes and fish,
I can tell you, I've seen a lot in the years, But I want to settle down and Raise koi and aquatic plants in my own nursery. I'm kind of hoping to find that one person that has something going that I can kind of take over. But I want to be where there is a large koi club and already established ponds. Going in with a working business would have it's advantages. I have a love for animals and nature and I like helping others with similar interests. I guess in a nutshell, It's who I am.:coolgleema: But, no book.:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well never say never, but that is really amazing about your experiences. I am 7 years older than you, but have very little background with fish and wildlife until recently except my biology degree which back then was more of a pre-med thing. We used to dissect frogs and study their neurotransmitters and end plate potentials. Its good to find something you enjoy doing because then work is something you look forward to. It sounds like the Koi breeding would be a perfect fit for you. Myself I am a real estate person and have been active in every phase from management, investing, sales, construction, and development. I have taken the big roller coaster up and down with the housing market and never would have expected the down part because I thought a lot about risk management in putting my businesses together. Now I am helping banks with their REO's and act as an outside asset/construction manager for them. It is interesting work and pays the bills.

Ask a Question