Algae and preditor protection

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had four 8 inch gold fish in my newly renovated pond, about 500(?) gallons 3 feet deep with a fountain water feature and ledge for plants.
i had a bad algae bloom and at the same time my large goldfish disappeared - can an algae bloom suffocate them? or am I looking at possible predators? didn't find any little fish bodies ...

picture is before fish were added

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 8.27.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 8.27.47 PM.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 53

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The only way an algae bloom would suffocate the fish is if it all died off depleting the oxygen levels in the pond. In all likelihood you had a heron visit your pond, it wouldn’t leave any evidence behind other than missing fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @agibson987 ! Sorry to hear about your missing fish!

Two thoughts:
1. did you treat the algae with some kind of chemical? New ponds often go green as they work to get a balance. With no plants in the pond, that's going to be nearly impossible to achieve.
2. Your pond has no hiding places for your fish. Some floating plants, a fish cave, even a flower pot turned on it's side at the bottom would give them someplace to go if there is a predator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I want to make clear what I think Lisa was implying. Don't use any chemical algecides. They can be harmful to fish.

Plants and lots of them are the cure to fighting algae.

Try no to overfeed your fish. That can contribute to increased algae.

Full sun can do it too. If need be, you can set up some form of a shade to block some of the sun.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had four 8 inch gold fish in my newly renovated pond, about 500(?) gallons 3 feet deep with a fountain water feature and ledge for plants.
i had a bad algae bloom and at the same time my large goldfish disappeared - can an algae bloom suffocate them? or am I looking at possible predators? didn't find any little fish bodies ...

picture is before fish were added
We caught a huge heron on camera at our pond after a similar situation. I have since used a decoy heron- didn’t work, he sat right beside it. Then we used a net that worked well. Now we just put two camp chairs in front of the pond entrance. He hasn’t been back. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks everyone, I was using a "good bacteria" product, but will definitely get more plants, and do the flower pot thing. is the net the only really god way to stop predators?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thanks everyone, I was using a "good bacteria" product, but will definitely get more plants, and do the flower pot thing. is the net the only really god way to stop predators?
you're only wasting your money on 'good bacteria'; your pond has everything it needs, and more, with time.

A net is the only one we don't get 'I'm sad, I lost my fish' stories about. All the others? For a limited time, they work but you're on borrowed time doing so. The 'other' site will tell you 'dig 4' straight sides' for your pond; that'll stop 'em. And then along comes a story of someone seeing the heron actually swimming out to get their lunch. I'm sure it really does help but if you can erect a net that is easily 'removable/set up', and use it while you're NOT there enjoying your pond, that's the surest way to protect your fish. In my case, I wasn't even clued in to what a heron could do but stumbled into pure genius just the same, and ONLY because I didn't want to be eaten alive in the evening by mosquitoes--I screened in the whole thing! So, in essence, I DO have a net but mine keeps out even the smallest of predators! Oh, there's a lot more benefits than I ever knew when I built the thing!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
A net allows me to keep my sanity in check somewhat now. I tried everything and the net was the last resort and it works! After loud talk radio, hanging cd's, straight pond sides, chasing him w/a broom, cats, fish line across etc. the net works! I have a wide weave net that is up on high poles and hangs down to attatch to a short wire fence. It is Fort Knox now!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We caught a huge heron on camera at our pond after a similar situation. I have since used a decoy heron- didn’t work, he sat right beside it. Then we used a net that worked well. Now we just put two camp chairs in front of the pond entrance. He hasn’t been back. Hope this helps.

I drove past a creek the other day. There must have been a dozen herons standing nuts to butts fishing next to each other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I drove past a creek the other day. There must have been a dozen herons standing nuts to butts fishing next to each other.
that's odd; I routinely see herons chase other herons either away or to the other side of the large pond we have in the neighborhood. Terriorial to say the least.

Ask a Question