Clearing green algae in pondless waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond-less waterfall, with no plants and no fish. I recently reduced my older pond to half its former size, and a nice landscaper helped clean it thoroughly, install a brand new Aquascape Spillway. Algae still showed up a few weeks later! So, as I had done in the past, I poured 8 oz of Rite-Aid hydrogen peroxide. It worked for a few weeks, but less and less well. So this week, I doubled the amount, and the water almost stopped flowing after 15 minutes!! I then added lots of water back, but it still took 3-4 hours for the water to resume as before.
1. Did I activate a weird chemical reaction by doubling the amount of hydrogen peroxide?
2. Also, do you have another remedy for the green algae?
Thank you for your tips!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also, do you have another remedy for the green algae?
No fish no pond , no plants , easy solution add salt to the water add just enough to where your algae disappears

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

Hmmm, seems like if the algae all died at one time (or even over a period of time), the dead algae particles might clog up a pump, causing it to run more slowly. Maybe, continue to add the H2O2, but do it on a regular basis, not waiting for the algae to reappear before treating the water. IDK, or use a chemical algaecide instead of the H2O2....?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

Hmmm, seems like if the algae all died at one time (or even over a period of time), the dead algae particles might clog up a pump, causing it to run more slowly. Maybe, continue to add the H2O2, but do it on a regular basis, not waiting for the algae to reappear before treating the water. IDK, or use a chemical algaecide instead of the H2O2....?
Don't forget the natural balance of things string algae can disapear over night once the pond gets established.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
once the pond gets established.

So true... but this one isn't a pond.

I'd suggest you add some plants - our pondless waterfall is full of plants and it's so pretty! It looks much more natural with some green growing amongst the rocks. Even if you just plant it with annuals in the warmer months, you'll help control algae. Post some pictures and we can make some suggestions where you can tuck some plants in!

And I agree with the suggestion that you clogged the pump with suddenly free flowing string algae. My first response when I have a pump that appears to be slowing down is to unplug it, let it sit, and plug it back in. Sometimes that's enough to dislodge whatever is blocking it. Otherwise you may need to access the pump and clean off the filter or filter cage.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1619298755214.gif
and welcome @PondSpirit

Ask a Question