Algae or suspended dirt

Reaction score
I'm not sure which, but it looks like algae? If it is any ideas on how to get rid of it? My water had been clear, but then we have had several heavy rains and it hasn't cleared up since the first one. I do have a lot of frogs in the pond and they are starting to lay eggs. I don't know if that might have something to do with it or not.

The first pic is my pond. Second is my current filter setup. Third is a top view of the blue tank.

I just setup the blue tank as a settling tank.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 393

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hard to really tell, it almost looks like dirt layering your pipes. With the rain you might have gotten fine dirt in the pond that needs to settle or get filtered out. The algae loves rain, and the nutrients that might have washed into the pond.

Reaction score
I have some fiber furnace filter and some quilt batting in the filter. It is a semi mud pond. It has a liner in the bottom. It usually is clear to the bottom. I might setup a basket on top of my blue tank and put quilt batting in it to filter it out then let it go to my other filter. Going to make a bigger filter soon.
Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
It could certainly be either, hard to tell from the pictures. I wanted to say that I have algae that same kind of yellow-brown color every Spring. It has started building up on the walls on my plastic pond liner, and on the pipes. It seems to start when the temperatures are in the 50-60 range, but once the temperature starts holding closer to 70, it will suddenly turn green and just grow like crazy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it looks like dirt to me as mine was cloudy like that and it was dirt stuck to all the algae on the sides of my pond turning it brown ,thats why I used quilt batting 2 days later it was clear

Ask a Question