What is this? Not algae or muck I don't think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone help me identify this? After cleaning a greenish colored pond, when the water was clear, a lot of this started developing on top of the algae on the walls of the pond as well as on the water plants. When you touch it, it just breaks apart like its dust or silt. The pond has biodegradable blue dye to help prevent algae blooms, and I have cleaned with the bacteria. They cling to and cover everything that stands still and are brown. And disperse in the water when you touch it.

Any insight would be so helpful.

Attachments

• 20180925_172505.jpg
    20180925_172505.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 315
  • 20180925_172454.jpg
    20180925_172454.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @hana0526 ! It's hard to say for sure from your pictures. Maybe another form of algae or organic matter leftover from dead algae.

Let me ask you a couple of questions that might help - how big is your pond? How many gallons? Do you have fish - if so what kind and how many? Is there filtration on this pond? How old is it? When you cleaned it, did you completely break it down and add new water? When you say you "cleaned with the bacteria" what do you mean? How often do you add dye to the pond?

Some pictures of your pond would be great, too - we love pictures!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @hana0526 ! It's hard to say for sure from your pictures. Maybe another form of algae or organic matter leftover from dead algae.

Let me ask you a couple of questions that might help - how big is your pond? How many gallons? Do you have fish - if so what kind and how many? Is there filtration on this pond? How old is it? When you cleaned it, did you completely break it down and add new water? When you say you "cleaned with the bacteria" what do you mean? How often do you add dye to the pond?

Some pictures of your pond would be great, too - we love pictures!

Thank you Lisa.

11x6.5x2ft deep, small. It is just one that was meant to hold water lily's and calls lily's and an employee put some baby fish in to eat the bugs. Now I'm just wanting to better maintain it since I realised it was not the best condition for the fish. I'm only now concerned with that debris. I didn't notice it before the part water change. Its covering also the water plants and submerged plants to.

There are about 15-20 goldfish and koi. Small ones that are about 1-2" long and onethe biggest one is about 3" long.

I have a small pump with a little fountain running for circulation and have ordered a small aerator on Amazon that should be here in a couple days for the oxygen.

The pond dye was added once and is one that is safe for fish. The brand is blue moon.

Aeration central water garden beneficial bacteria pellet is what I used for cleaning the things in the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A couple of pictures of that debris and one of the pond. Sorry for my poor picture taking.

Attachments

• 20180926_110736.jpg
    20180926_110736.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 20180926_105308.jpg
    20180926_105308.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 20180926_105345.jpg
    20180926_105345.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 241

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-26_13-23-31.gif
@hana0526 Not sure what the name of it is but I have it in my pond all the time. My filter sucks it up when I stir the water w/a net. Maybe it's just dead organic matter like part fish poo, dead algae and rotten plant material. Just a guess tho. It does like to settle on everything!

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 116154@hana0526 Not sure what the name of it is but I have it in my pond all the time. My filter sucks it up when I stir the water w/a net. Maybe it's just dead organic matter like part fish poo, dead algae and rotten plant material. Just a guess tho. It does like to settle on everything!

Ohh... there is so much built up all over. It wasn't there before when there was a lot of algae... it's like so.ething new appeared now that the water is clean even though there is dye to keep the sun from feeding bacteria.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think it is just sediment, muck or decaying stuff that naturally occurs in ponds. Some people have more powerful filters than I do and it keeps the muck at bay. I have to swish my water around to get the muck to move so my filter can catch it. If you want it gone you will have to suck it up w/a vacuum or a finer filter. You will have to take a net or something to keep the muck moving in the water like I said for it to reach your filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My guess is that it is decaying organic matter caught in some lingering alage, hence feeding it but also keeping it from floating around which keeps the water clearer. Algae is actually very good at cleaning water. And I bet you are seeing a sudden increase in this new form because it IS the old dead algae, as you said it wasn't there when you had the other algae. Algae has some self sufficiency by feeding it self by dying off to feed new growth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it is just sediment, muck or decaying stuff that naturally occurs in ponds. Some people have more powerful filters than I do and it keeps the muck at bay. I have to swish my water around to get the muck to move so my filter can catch it. If you want it gone you will have to suck it up w/a vacuum or a finer filter. You will have to take a net or something to keep the muck moving in the water like I said for it to reach your filter.
@j.w Okay. ThanK you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guess is that it is decaying organic matter caught in some lingering alage, hence feeding it but also keeping it from floating around which keeps the water clearer. Algae is actually very good at cleaning water. And I bet you are seeing a sudden increase in this new form because it IS the old dead algae, as you said it wasn't there when you had the other algae. Algae has some self sufficiency by feeding it self by dying off to feed new growth.
@myswtsins Ohh okay. That makes sense.

Ask a Question