Algae treatment on wall above pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a one year-old pond (see picture).

In the past few weeks, the stone above the pond has begun to turn green with algae. I'm going to treat it this week whilst the pond is empty (we have no fish yet, only plants).

Patio Magic is oft recommended as the best treatment for stone surfaces but is not recommended where there is run-off into ponds. As you'll see, in this case run-off is inevitable so is there any treatment that you would recommend please?

Thanks,

A.

Attachments

• 20211112_111450.jpg
    20211112_111450.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 35

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use the above off and on to remove algae, it works great. Both do the job no harm to the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe not, the stuff kills the algae including roots. At least it did for mine. I used it a lot for my AZ pond
does it bleach out the color? Seems like the algae would die but the root structure adhering to the stone would stay unless brushed off. Maybe the hose action rips it away? I've never actually used H202 as I figure it's all gonna grow back soon anyhow, but the bog wall would look nice and shiny clean again if I can get out the stuff the hose can't. Although, there's something to be said about moss growing on the ledges and I imagine it would be killed too if I used the chem.

smilie sword twirl.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The algae turns gray and is just dead. I would hose it off and the rocks were rocks again. And yes it grows back. I don't remove any algae on water fall rocks etc, anymore, just don't worry about it. LPS!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The algae turns gray and is just dead. I would hose it off and the rocks were rocks again. And yes it grows back. I don't remove any algae on water fall rocks etc, anymore, just don't worry about it. LPS!
heh, I think you mean LAP; LPS is reserved for LARGER POND SYNDROME! (not that I didn't understand ya!)

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks folks.

I've gone for an initial treatment of Algon, which said to minimise run-off and has no reported serious toxicity to fish or aquatic plants. Hopefully that resolves it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, since you've already done it, I won't tell you that you shouldn't but I will tell you how I decide if I want to use a product in my garden, my home, my kitchen, etc.

I had to look this one up, but as I suspected this "organic" product is suspect - my first clue: a treatment lasts UP TO ONE YEAR. I checked the MDS - it's acetic acid... essentially highly concentrated vinegar. Here's some information from the fact sheet:

What about plants?
Algon will scorch grass, foliage and flowers
where it makes contact; normal overspray or run-off falling on soil will not harm established roots but care should be taken to always keep this to a minimum.

where it makes contact Nb. Excess wetting or puddling may result in small patches of white residue forming; this is harmless and will weather away.

Non-metallic implements
are recommended for application purposes; rinse implements after use. Do not throw rinse water on grass or plants.

Can I use Algon for water features?
Yes, if it does not contain fish/plants. Preferably rinse birdbaths after treatment.

Again - your pond, your choice. I would just be aware of the hazards of using these types of products.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, since you've already done it, I won't tell you that you shouldn't but I will tell you how I decide if I want to use a product in my garden, my home, my kitchen, etc.

I had to look this one up, but as I suspected this "organic" product is suspect - my first clue: a treatment lasts UP TO ONE YEAR. I checked the MDS - it's acetic acid... essentially highly concentrated vinegar. Here's some information from the fact sheet:

What about plants?
where it makes contact; normal overspray or run-off falling on soil will not harm established roots but care should be taken to always keep this to a minimum.

where it makes contact Nb. Excess wetting or puddling may result in small patches of white residue forming; this is harmless and will weather away.

Non-metallic implements
are recommended for application purposes; rinse implements after use. Do not throw rinse water on grass or plants.

Can I use Algon for water features?
Yes, if it does not contain fish/plants. Preferably rinse birdbaths after treatment.

Again - your pond, your choice. I would just be aware of the hazards of using these types of products.
Thanks. I'd looked at the legal data sheet before applying it. I've only applied it on a small patch by patch basis so the run off is absolutely minimal. And applied very consciously going nowhere close to foliage.

We'll see how it works and any ill effects - I'd sooner learn of them now in an immature pond with no fish than once it's stocked. Will note hydrogen peroxide as another option.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Pressure wash it and add hydrogen peroxide to wash. Safe for the fish but don’t forget to put a dechlorinater in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The other thing I wanted to add to this - sometimes just let it grow! If you have an area that already grows algae, try finding some moss and adhering that to the wall. If you're lucky it'll take and you'll have a bit of green!

Ask a Question