Algaefix

Reaction score
The air stone is good, you need lots of water movement. The algae dies off so fast that you have a ' mini cycle.' Ammonia spikes and so does the rest of nitrogen cycle. the pond is trying to re balance itself. This takes away dissolved oxygen from the water to create the bacteria, oxygen stripper.
Thats about half right and half wrong. I explained it all above.

Reaction score
The air stone is good, you need lots of water movement. The algae dies off so fast that you have a ' mini cycle.' Ammonia spikes and so does the rest of nitrogen cycle. the pond is trying to re balance itself. This takes away dissolved oxygen from the water to create the bacteria, oxygen stripper.
thanks for clearing it up for me. I was confident of needing the air, I just got a little info overload and started to freak out ;) How do you feel about PH? Since my pond cycled I have all 0's except PH steady at 9, a couple morning reads at 8 of which I understand why. I didn't want to do a water change to soon so as to not interfere with the pond cycle. My tap runs 8 but I have read the danger of a hi ph if the others spike.

Reaction score
thanks for clearing it up for me. I was confident of needing the air, I just got a little info overload and started to freak out ;) How do you feel about PH? Since my pond cycled I have all 0's except PH steady at 9, a couple morning reads at 8 of which I understand why. I didn't want to do a water change to soon so as to not interfere with the pond cycle. My tap runs 8 but I have read the danger of a hi ph if the others spike.
Ph will go up and Down all day. If your between 7 and 10, don't worry about it.

Reaction score
How do you know that? You wont find much if any of the bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite in the debris at the bottom of the pond. Nitrobacter and nitrosomonas need a clean environment with a high oxygen content in order to thrive.
How do you know I don't? I wasn't talking about the bottom of my pond. I don't have rocks or gravel in the bottom of my pond. You must have assumed I did, cause I know you love to go after anyone who has gravel. Just foamed field stone walls and kewanee flats on my plant ledges to hide my wrinkles. I keep the ledges vacuumed (very easy to do) and can total see the black liner on the bottom of my pond, wrinkles and all. My fish nibble constantly on the rock walls and seem to really like what they are eating. I don't have debris on the bottom of my pond, please don't assume what condition my pond is in. As I posted I keep and air stone in my falls box running 24/7 and 1 in my pond bottom at night only. I also have a small pump in the bottom to circulate the deep water. Why would you assume I don't have a "clean environment with high oxygen" in my pond? I want what is best for my pond and fish! That is why I came to this site and read every post I could all winter long to get good info. I have the time to keep my hobby in top condition.

Reaction score
How do you know that? You wont find much if any of the bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite in the debris at the bottom of the pond. Nitrobacter and nitrosomonas need a clean environment with a high oxygen content in order to thrive.
I just seen this post, sorry I missed it. So this is good information, so all ponds will fill up because the nitrogen cycle doesn't happen at the bottom of the water. Good information here....

Reaction score
I just seen this post, sorry I missed it. So this is good information, so all ponds will fill up because the nitrogen cycle doesn't happen at the bottom of the water. Good information here....
If DP is not correct here can you re-state this post? I just don't want other people (like myself) to read it and take it as fact in their learning process. :)

Reaction score
If DP is not correct here can you re-state this post? I just don't want other people (like myself) to read it and take it as fact in their learning process. :)
What he said is not a fact. The nitrogen cycle is throughout the system. If this was a fact, there would be no bacteria in your filtration system unless it was a waterfall filter.
For instance, what he is saying is, if you take a leaf and put it into your canister filter, it will stay be there untouched a year later. Does this make sense? No. Biological filtration is just that, it is throughout the system and not just on top, inside, below..... it is everywhere.

Reaction score
What he said is not a fact. The nitrogen cycle is throughout the system. If this was a fact, there would be no bacteria in your filtration system unless it was a waterfall filter.
For instance, what he is saying is, if you take a leaf and put it into your canister filter, it will stay be there untouched a year later. Does this make sense? No. Biological filtration is just that, it is throughout the system and not just on top, inside, below..... it is everywhere.
Yeah I know, he was clearly making a gravel bottom jab. But I don't have one... BAM!!! Thanks for the word. I have bio balls with the beneficial bacteria (BB) on them in my falls box, why in the world would the BB not be able to live on my rock walls, liner, stream what ever surface is in the pond? What, they can only live if a little plastic ball is introduced to the system, for real? I threw a BB sponge from my 40 gallon tank in the bottom to help cycle a while back and it is still snuggled in there and I leave it cause I'm sure it has some good stuff in there. I keep two fluval filters running on my 40 gal and plan to use the BB from there for the pond when I need it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My BFF has a thin layer of gravel, like you can see the liner between much of the gravel, on each level of her pond and she has a perfectly clear and clean pond, with great water parameters. All she does is net out stuff when she sees it. NO built up debris and nasty muck. Her pond is 11 years old!!!!! They don't drain, scrub nothing. Oh and just to add salt, @dieselplower it's an AQUASCAPES SYSTEM! bwahhhh, haa, haa, haa. And AQ is also laughing all the way to the bank!!!

Reaction score
Wow it's amazing how many times a couple of you have made false statements since my last post. I actually think one of you needs counseling!
False statements. They are true, I quoted you. You are stating some pretty incorrect facts for wanting this site to be creditable. ' the nitrogen cycle only happens at the surface and lots of oxygen.' Sounds pretty dumb.
Edit: when algae dies, it sucks up all the o2 in the water. Another incorrect statement, but we should all play along for the sake of dieseldowner temper tantrum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You wont find much if any of the bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite in the debris at the bottom of the pond.
This statement. Your sayin the nitrogen cycle isn't on the bottom of a pond. I don't know how I am miss reading it.
Most of our pumps are bottom feeds, so when they pump to our filtration, that means no live bacteria exists per your words.

Ask a Question