Algaefix

Reaction score
by the way, you are still on ignore, but I decided to take just a minute more time to give you a little bit more education. The reason i noted the part that contains the comment about surfaces is because you are trying to tell me that they are just all floating around in the water. Let me ask you this, if that was the case, i suppose biofilters should just be buckets of water huh? All the people building trickle towers filled with media with water showing over them (not submerged in water) and people spending hundreds of dollars to purchase biomedia that is designed in a way to have huge surface areas for the bacteria to colonize must just be wasting their money huh!? You could make a killing selling people biofilters filled with just water LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What is with this forum lately. Ponding should be fun, we make mistakes (all of us and learn from them). Nobodys pond or advice is perfect, so stop with all this back and forth and attacking each other. Just silly if you ask me, I really enjoy this forum and reading thru post but lately not so much.

Reaction score
What is with this forum lately. Ponding should be fun, we make mistakes (all of us and learn from them). Nobodys pond or advice is perfect, so stop with all this back and forth and attacking each other. Just silly if you ask me, I really enjoy this forum and reading thru post but lately not so much.
Thats why ive "ignored" him. He actually "followed" me so he can troll all my posts.

Reaction score
How do you know that? You wont find much if any of the bacteria that process ammonia and nitrite in the debris at the bottom of the pond. Nitrobacter and nitrosomonas need a clean environment with a high oxygen content in order to thrive.
I'm not the only one who knows, so does the writer of this article in Hanover Koi Farms web site. This is the same article I read and took notes from when preparing for my pond. I did not mention the bottom of my pond at all so why did you bring that into your reply?

http://jnfkoifarms.com/thescienceofwater.html

"Nitrosomonas will grow on any substrate of the pond (liner, filter boxes, pump surfaces, etc.), but probably not in sufficient numbers to keep the Ammonia at bay"

Reaction score
I'm not the only one who knows, so does the writer of this article in Hanover Koi Farms web site. This is the same article I read and took notes from when preparing for my pond. I did not mention the bottom of my pond at all so why did you bring that into your reply?

http://jnfkoifarms.com/thescienceofwater.html

"Nitrosomonas will grow on any substrate of the pond (liner, filter boxes, pump surfaces, etc.), but probably not in sufficient numbers to keep the Ammonia at bay"
Lol read the last line... "not enough to keep the ammonia at bay."

Reaction score
Lol read the last line... "not enough to keep the ammonia at bay."
I know that, and added it to the post so you would understand that I know it. I also know my bio filter is the main worker here but there are good bacteria on the walls of my pond and that is what I stated in the first place to where you then went on you normal mantra.

Don't forget I can't get enough of ya!

Reaction score
If you reread the paragraph you wrote about your rocks again, you will see you did say bottom.
Post #16 my original :
Some will say to take the rocks out but you don't have to if you like them. Rocks don't produce the muck they just sit there, actually mine have the beneficial bacteria on them that eats up all the bad stuff.

The next line I talk about debris decaying on the bottom. I said nothing about rocks on the bottom, just the bottom of the pond, which we all have.

Reaction score
Post #16 my original :
Some will say to take the rocks out but you don't have to if you like them. Rocks don't produce the muck they just sit there, actually mine have the beneficial bacteria on them that eats up all the bad stuff.

The next line I talk about debris decaying on the bottom. I said nothing about rocks on the bottom, just the bottom of the pond, which we all have.
Now I didn't say my rocks are on the walls, I could have been more specific about that but they do have BB on them on the walls

Reaction score
Post #16 my original :

Nice try. You asked why would I think you were talking about the bottom. I told you it was because you said bottom. Which you did, in the very next line. Keep trying...

Reaction score
Nice try. You asked why would I think you were talking about the bottom. I told you it was because you said bottom. Which you did, in the very next line. Keep trying...
Na I'm just gonna say bye, hit the ignore and live in peace. Your just not very pleasant to talk to.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once again, stop attacking each other! Please, there is no need. If you have a difference in opinion state it then move on, no reason to trash the other person.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@dieselplower @mariobrothersleeve Children children please !!!!.....
Algae is a plant and like a plant it takes in co2 during the day giving us oxygen , at night like any other plant it goes into reverse.
To much in the way of nutrients can cause algae to bloom , my pond is covered sides and bottom with a thin covering of algae, thankfully I dont have a problem with string algae and never have had.
I put this down to regulasr maintence of the pond and its systems .
Potasium Permanganate can be used to kill it but your also nuking the rest of your system so extra airstones should be added .
Do you have a phosphate test kit MBS if so whats your reading please , also how many times do you do a water change in a year you should be doing partial ones on a regular basis.
What about filter maintenance we do ours three times a year late spring, late summer and Autumn , when was the last time you chenged your UVC it all goes to help

Dave

Ask a Question