Algal Blooms

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, I have come to the conclusion that my pond just gets way too much sun. If you all remember, we removed an above ground pool, and we installed the pond where the pool used to be. Of course, when you have a pool, you want as much sun shining on it as possible to keep it warm enough to swim in. I thought that it would be also good for pond plants. Well, it IS good for them. My lilies are blooming beautifully, and everything is growing great, including the algae!

I really don't understand how it could have cleared completely after about 3 weeks of being filled. I thought that meant it was cycled, and that would be it for the algae. But as our weather has gotten hotter, and the days sunnier, the green has come back full force and shows no sign of leaving. The pond does get full sun most of the day, although the back portion does get shaded by the trees along the fenceline.

This was a huge undertaking for us. It's not like I can move the 3,000 gallon pond. It is like having a dream come true to even have it in the first place. After seeing it so clear for a week or so, then having it turn green again is really bothering me. I feel like I will NEVER see the fish again. All my levels are good, the pH is stable at 8.4, and there are no dying fish. Actually, we have baby fish, although it was a fluke that we even spotted them. I have a ton of plants. A ton. I just feel like with the amount of sun my pond gets, I will never get on top of the algae.

Can anybody give me a word of encouragement? No, half of the surface is not covered with plants YET because the lilies are not completely mature yet. Although I have 5, I probably should get even more. I also have some other floaters. But underwater there is a large amount of hornwort, which I'm assuming would use nutrients also. Am I going to go through this every year? I will shut down the filter and waterfall in the winter and just use an aerator to keep a hole open. Does this mean all my bacteria will die off and I will start from scratch each Spring? How can I get more shade without more plants?

Are there some ponds that, because of the amount of sun they get will never clear no matter how many plants or how good the biofilter is? I am getting really discouraged. I would love to see the fish. It's been nearly 2 months since we filled it, and as I said, there was a point where the pea soup cleared up completely. I could read the letters on the liner! But that did not last long.

I know patience is a virtue, but I am just afraid that maybe my pond will be problematic forever because of the amount of sunshine. I could make a canopy of sorts, but it would look so dumb.....

Thanks for listening. I guess I just needed to vent. It's not like it's the end of the world.

Sandy

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
joesandy1822 said:
Well, I have come to the conclusion that my pond just gets way too much sun. If you all remember, we removed an above ground pool, and we installed the pond where the pool used to be. Of course, when you have a pool, you want as much sun shining on it as possible to keep it warm enough to swim in. I thought that it would be also good for pond plants. Well, it IS good for them. My lilies are blooming beautifully, and everything is growing great, including the algae!

1) I really don't understand how it could have cleared completely after about 3 weeks of being filled. I thought that meant it was cycled, and that would be it for the algae. But as our weather has gotten hotter, and the days sunnier, the green has come back full force and shows no sign of leaving. The pond does get full sun most of the day, although the back portion does get shaded by the trees along the fenceline.

This was a huge undertaking for us. It's not like I can move the 3,000 gallon pond. It is like having a dream come true to even have it in the first place. After seeing it so clear for a week or so, then having it turn green again is really bothering me. I feel like I will NEVER see the fish again. All my levels are good, the pH is stable at 8.4, and there are no dying fish. Actually, we have baby fish, although it was a fluke that we even spotted them. 2) I have a ton of plants. A ton. I just feel like with the amount of sun my pond gets, I will never get on top of the algae.

5) Can anybody give me a word of encouragement? 2) No, half of the surface is not covered with plants YET because the lilies are not completely mature yet. Although I have 5, I probably should get even more. I also have some other floaters. But underwater there is a large amount of hornwort, which I'm assuming would use nutrients also. 5) Am I going to go through this every year? I will shut down the filter and waterfall in the winter and just use an aerator to keep a hole open. Does this mean all my bacteria will die off and I will start from scratch each Spring? 3) How can I get more shade without more plants?

4) Are there some ponds that, because of the amount of sun they get will never clear no matter how many plants or how good the biofilter is? I am getting really discouraged. I would love to see the fish. It's been nearly 2 months since we filled it, and as I said, there was a point where the pea soup cleared up completely. I could read the letters on the liner! But that did not last long.

5) I know patience is a virtue, but I am just afraid that maybe my pond will be problematic forever because of the amount of sunshine. I could make a canopy of sorts, but it would look so dumb.....

Thanks for listening. I guess I just needed to vent. It's not like it's the end of the world.

Sandy

1) I really don't understand how it could have cleared completely after about 3 weeks of being filled. I thought that meant it was cycled, and that would be it for the algae.

Algae comes and goes. There are many theories out there as to why algae "spontaneously" collapse, but it will always return. As the pond ages, allowing different bacteria colonies to appear and grow bigger and plants get bigger, then the algae might less likely to occur, but this is a long process that could take several years if wanting to take the natural approach.

2) I have a ton of plants. A ton. I just feel like with the amount of sun my pond gets, I will never get on top of the algae. ... No, half of the surface is not covered with plants YET because the lilies are not completely mature yet. Although I have 5, I probably should get even more. I also have some other floaters. But underwater there is a large amount of hornwort, which I'm assuming would use nutrients also.

Yeah, I have seen when plants are not the only answer. Although, using heavy nutrient feeding plants will help such as water hyacinth, duckweed, and sedges do noticeably help.

3) How can I get more shade without more plants?

I have no idea. I guess ya could make a pergola over the pond, but controlling the amount of sun is the very last thing to be considered to influence algae since, in our context of an outdoor pond, it is just not practical.

4) Are there some ponds that, because of the amount of sun they get will never clear no matter how many plants or how good the biofilter is? I am getting really discouraged. I would love to see the fish. It's been nearly 2 months since we filled it, and as I said, there was a point where the pea soup cleared up completely. I could read the letters on the liner! But that did not last long.

There are ponds with full sun and never have algae problems. It all depends on how old the pond is and how you manage it. If you want to take the more conventional approach, as an example of my version (post#22), then this will definitely handle the situation, but it is a less natural approach.

5) Can anybody give me a word of encouragement? ... Am I going to go through this every year? I will shut down the filter and waterfall in the winter and just use an aerator to keep a hole open. Does this mean all my bacteria will die off and I will start from scratch each Spring? ... I know patience is a virtue, but I am just afraid that maybe my pond will be problematic forever because of the amount of sunshine. I could make a canopy of sorts, but it would look so dumb..... Thanks for listening. I guess I just needed to vent. It's not like it's the end of the world.

Keep your head up. Jump back on that horse or doggy when ya get knocked down and hope for the best.

The bacteria are amazingly resilient. During the winter, particular species do die, but then others start thriving and then, when conditions are right, then the bacteria that died will start growing again. Bacteria in the bio-filters and pond are amazingly resilient, as long as they do not get zapped by chlorine or some other product. It would also be very beneficial for the bacteria, during winter, to put a small aquarium air stone in it as well if it is going to be kept full of water. Everyone has their own way how to winterize their bio-filter, which likely is talked about in the "winterizing your pond" sub-forum here.

Yep, with the algae, you will be going through this every year until your pond ages, and, depending on how you treat the pond, you might still have a major algae bloom once or twice a year.

Try all the various natural methods with just plants, infusoria microorganisms, organic polymers, improved builds of bio-filters, increased aeration, and increased water circulation. It does takes patience when using the natural approach.

And it is good to vent. Also, beer and wine helps too. :beerchug: :0000000057:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
crsublette said:
Ugh, I am reading some of these extremely old threads of mine and just shake my head .

:beerchug:
Yup, they have the same effect on me!
John

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Charles, this is a quick shout out because I am packing for a short vacation, but yesterday we lost power for 9 hours. What a hot, nasty day to lose A/C. Anyhow, obviously that meant my filter falls was not running (no electricity, no pump). Does that mean more problems because all the bacteria probably died in the filter? One thing after another......but there was nothing I could do. We do not have a backup generator. Fish seem ok today. Pond still green. Hotter than Hades today.

Thanks!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If it was a really hot day and no new oxygenated water entered the bio-filter, after 9 hours of this environment, then I think the bio-filter most definitely would have been harmed, but the bacteria will bounce back.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There are systems that can manage those situations when they occur. Apex Neptune systems, starting at around $200s and higher, is one particular customizable system that allows you to setup redundancies. I think this system can even be configured to turn on a battery operated air pump when the electricity goes out and notify you when the electricity goes out, but call them to make sure it can do it for ya. I am pretty sure this system can compensate and properly react to power outages. If so, then you can have the battery operated pumps send air into an airstone for your bio-filters and pond.

Depending on how heavily stocked your pond is with fish and other plant decay, then this will determine how fast the oxygen becomes depleted in the pond. If the pond remains without any kind of aeration or circulation, depending on the pond's environment, then the water might become too saturated with dissolved gases that then force the fish to suffocate or, in very warm waters, the fish suffocate due to the lack of oxygen.

Reaction score
I'm reading your posts here too to see if there is some little extra bit that might help my green water issues. I feel your pain. My Ph swings from a 7.0 in the AM to 9.0 by the evening.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put in a plant filter, pea gravel bog..... my pond is full full sun, never has green water or algae. The plants suck out any nutrients that the algae could live on.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
addy1 said:
Put in a plant filter, pea gravel bog..... my pond is full full sun, never has green water or algae. The plants suck out any nutrients that the algae could live on.
You should also mention the shear size of the bog in comparison to the size on your pond in a ratio context.

If the aquaponic hobby is of indication, then this would suggest a pea gravel bog does help with controlling algae.

Although, I have not yet seen veggie filters absolutely flat out sterilize a pond or fish tank to stop all forms of algae from being created. Addy, I bet there is algae in your pond and bog and appearing between the seasons, as you once shared in some pictures some time ago, but the algae was incredibly small like a Diatom algae, could be mistaken as a bio-film, and definitely not any eye sore, which how it is when controlling algae with an appropratiely sized veggie filter like a bog or aquaponic garden.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pond maven put in a small bog and is having great results. Same with countryescape. Yes mine is big, but I have seen others say their bogs type filters are doing a great job against algae.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
addy1 said:
pond maven put in a small bog and is having great results. Same with countryescape. Yes mine is big, but I have seen others say their bogs type filters are doing a great job against algae.
I have never denied their impacts and their efficacy, that is entirely dependent on the pond's water chemistry and environmental variables and how they are built, but there is no need to create exaggerations, which does not help anyone. Especially in regards to bio-filters, everything has their limitations and pros/cons including bogs.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Look into the Aquaponic hobby. Aquaponic gardens, which are not always just vegetables, are essentially the same as bogs except the aquaponic hobby focuses on "How To's" and chemistry to improve their efficacy.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When properly built, bogs do a great job against algae and actually I would highly recommend a "bog" or "aquaponic grow bed" type implementation, which is essentially significantly increasing the volume of plants.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Any links to these bog builds?

Ask a Question