addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
only thing is netting which should be away from water surface a foot or more as it can still kill fish if its near
I have the netting around 2 feet over the water, draping down on the sides so it can not get under. A deer made it under the net snacked on the lilies then got almost trapped. The heron has to have a clear strike.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
it came back today. My planters are laying on their sides and the crate was floating around (I had to hold it down with a rock. So I just put my leaves net up. I don't want it to puncture my liner trying to get my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Predator nets are like soccer goal net, made of durable black plastic good for 10 years outdoors

Any place which does commercial fishing nets or sports can probably look up a source.

The last 50'x30' net I picked up was cut to size, from a fishing net maker over Dorset way

A few bucks postage for 10 lbs

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 some thing like this? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0...=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=gill+net

Where do you find one that's wide? They are all narrow and with smaller holes. This one has the biggest holes but still pretty narrow. Do you cut them? Are they easy to tear like a dear net?

I bought it from here:
http://www.memphisnet.net/product/4772/netting-seine-knotted-15
It is six foot wide, I used clear fishing line to weave the pieces together.

The guy I talked to told me about weaving the rope through the edge for the ability to shape the net and hang it over the pond. They put a coating on it called sports black.
I may need to replace it next year, I am seeing a bit of torn threads, but that is right where the deer was sort of stuck under it for a bit.

I think they have wider ones also. JW bought one that has a finer thread and is wider, but for me it is not holding up mine is a thicker thread. With the size of my pond I need a strong thread.
I have a piece of her finer thread on the small pond, it does fine for it, but it does tear easier.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it came back today. My planters are laying on their sides and the crate was floating around (I had to hold it down with a rock. So I just put my leaves net up. I don't want it to puncture my liner trying to get my fish.
The birds came back for over two years, almost every day, even in the snow. I have hours of recordings I watched how they stalked the pond, tried to get into the pond, made it into the pond. Once the net was hung a few came back walked around, snacked on some bugs or frogs in the yard and then have not been back since.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have pretty much the same net as @addy1 and I have mine high up on posts w/a short wire fence around the bottom to where the net is attached so heron cannot walk in. Works great!

Reaction score
Country
United States
what size weave is everyone using? I have a net but the weave is so small that it blocks too much view of the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nepen sorry to hear about your fish. :( Hope you get the net figured out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear of the heron attack. We get grey herons here, maybe a tad smaller, but still as deadly, plus there's a hero ray a couple of miles away at a wildlife centre, so they're quite common. My black net has 1.5 cm or so holes, keeps leaves and beaks out. Wouldn't be without it.

Ask a Question