6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Just reread my post above, it should say 'heronry' not a hero ray, whatever that may be, stupid autocorrect. Makes one appear illiterate!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
LOL...I was wondering what a hero ray was. I figured it was some type of bird term.
ep.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly! It's amazing what autocorrect does and if you don't notice it before submitting, it can write all sorts of jibberish and get you into a load of trouble!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So the weekend I just drained my pond and count my fish. 5 left, all pond babies. I got to clean all the muck (the frogs didnt like that! and just refill the pond. My babies are still huddling together.

I ordered some braided fishing line and trellises and lawn cup holders to be my 'poles' for the fishing line. Planning on planting some climbing plants on the trellises and I can put a small planer on the cup holder and get the plants that's good for a hanging basket in it. Then if i get the net then i can hang it from those 'poles' so it's higher frm the water. The crates i put in the water for the fish to hide are the perfect place for the heron to stand on.... :(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn I was hoping more of your fish would show up. I lost some beautiful fish before I managed to stop the pond raiders.

We can't be to mad at the herons they are just doing what they do, eating to survive and raise more pond raiders.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm not mad at the heron. Cant be animal loving and mad at animal being animal. Annoyed more like, and try to prevent it coming back. I'm facing the same thing with deer and my garden.. I planted al my vegetable to be deer snacks...... :cry: and now we are getting chickens and ducks... will see what else I'll have to fight off lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your plans sound nice, especially the climbing vines :)
This is what i 'm getting. I hope the holders are strong enough. I think I'll have to find something to hold it down.
holders.JPG
trellis.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not mad at the heron. Cant be animal loving and mad at animal being animal. Annoyed more like, and try to prevent it coming back. I'm facing the same thing with deer and my garden.. I planted al my vegetable to be deer snacks...... :cry: and now we are getting chickens and ducks... will see what else I'll have to fight off lol

I love seeing the herons they are neat birds, but love them better when they can't get to the pond.

The deer and I have a love hate relationship. I have huge wildflower gardens for the bees, the deer like them to. So I plant some areas for the deer, and put up a lot of deer fencing which sort of keeps them out, at least they have to work at getting to the plants. We have herds that wander through. Every young tree is triple wrapped with wire fencing ow the bucks try to kill them off rubbing their velvet.

Ground hogs, we have tons of them, one even fell into the pond and went for a swim. Those I try to trap and move when we end up with more than a few, last year we had around 10 living here.

Ask a Question