All my fish are gone...? Goldfish, minnows - 50+ fish completely gone. Fish rapture?

Reaction score
Update: I spotted at least 3 of the big goldfish swimming in the bottom of the pond this morning!! By noon I couldn't see any. So despite the lack of hiding spots in my pond, they seem to have found some spots where I can't see them for long periods of time.

My assumption is that the sudden temp drop, and the extreme rainfall (3+ inches in 3 days) caused the pond to get cold too quickly, and maybe shocked the fish?

I am excited to know that they weren't taken in the great fish Rapture of 2022. At this point, I suspect they are all alive, but hiding. I guess I'll know more when the weather warms the water back up.

Ad

Advertisements

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Update: I spotted at least 3 of the big goldfish swimming in the bottom of the pond this morning!! By noon I couldn't see any. So despite the lack of hiding spots in my pond, they seem to have found some spots where I can't see them for long periods of time.

My assumption is that the sudden temp drop, and the extreme rainfall (3+ inches in 3 days) caused the pond to get cold too quickly, and maybe shocked the fish?

I am excited to know that they weren't taken in the great fish Rapture of 2022. At this point, I suspect they are all alive, but hiding. I guess I'll know more when the weather warms the water back up.
It could be as you surmised due to a water temp drop, most likely though a predator came by got one or two and the rest took that as their cue to hide or die. Fish as you found out are very good at finding and hiding in spots you wouldn’t think they can hide in and staying there for extended periods.

The behavior you are describing is typical when the fish feel threatened, more so than just water temp. drops.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had a fat fantail goldfish that used to disappear for weeks at a time - and then suddenly, there she was again! I still have no idea where she would hide out, if it was on purpose or if she got lost behind some boulders and had to find her way back out again. Moral of the story - fish can and will hide for long periods of time for reasons of their own that you may never understand!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We had a fat fantail goldfish that used to disappear for weeks at a time - and then suddenly, there she was again! I still have no idea where she would hide out, if it was on purpose or if she got lost behind some boulders and had to find her way back out again. Moral of the story - fish can and will hide for long periods of time for reasons of their own that you may never understand!
I used to have a 55 gallon aquarium. I had a cichlid that got sick and disappeared. We thought he died and was eaten by the rest of the tank residents. He was about 4" or 5", too, so you would think he would be easy to spot in a small space like that. We looked and looked. Even thought he might have jumped out and been eaten by the cat! MONTHS later, he turned up -- looking fine and healthy. It was bizarre. We named him The Lazarus Fish. :LOL:

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question