My fishies are gone.......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
So, I came home from work 2 days ago, and there were no fish greeting me at the pond's edge. Some things were knocked over and scuffed up. Well, I found Mr. Gold, my koi and 2 orange comets hiding. All of my shubunkins and the fantails are gone. I went into the pond and set up large pieces of flagstone sitting on big rocks at the bottom and hanging out over ledges so they have more hiding spots. The 3 that are left won't come out or come up to eat, although they will peek out from time to time.....I guess I had a HERON VISIT. First time....I'm so sad.
20190924_164943.jpg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn on losing your fish. Maybe some that are missing are really hiding good. Hope so but it is time for a net I fear!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I posted the pic of my bulldog to lighten the mood...............but i'm really sad. Those fish were so friendly and happy. I could even pet them, and they swarmed around me if i was in the water doing something. I could hold them in my hand in the water, you guys know. I can't believe how much i miss them..........

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have the same kind as @addy1 has, wide weave gill nets we ordered online. I had to sew mine together w/fishing line to make it wider to fit over my pond. I raised the net up and clipped it to posts so it makes it easier for me to just life up a side part if I need to. Here is a posting I made on how I did it: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/heron-netting-101.13205/

@addy1 can tell you more also.

Now when I look back at that post I see lots of peoples photo's are missing cuz darn Photo Bucket took them away due to their new rules. I think mine are all still there tho as most were stored on my computer and not photo bucket.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So sorry to hear about your fishes
If that ever happened to me god forbid ill be waiting for that bird to show up for the last time

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. At least string up some fishing line fence until you can get a permanent solution. When mine were taken years back... the heron return a few more times. I worked from home those days and waited by a unlatched door and bucket of water. I got him good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn that is sad. Poor bulldog...................got caught napping!

I have used a wide weave net over the pond for years now. It does not trap the small birds, the frogs, the bugs etc. The dragon flies even got stuck when I used a smaller weave net. Mine is around 2ish feet over the water, the heron can not strike through it and reach the fish.

I had herons visiting every day for a few years. We are in their flight path. Since I put up the net they have left the pond alone. I did forget to cover my hot tub pond, loss every fan tail in it, around 9, when I left to head to Florida in Feb. Had some ice on it, but melted spots here and there. Also loss some fish in the 1000 gallon tank, that net started falling apart, forgot to fix it.

So unless I want population control, the net stays on.

Ask a Question