Alternative

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
and the loons had babies every year....
dayum now WHERE did I put that JEALOUS emoji?????? oh ADDDDDYYYYYYYYYYY!!! IIIAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN; this list is just not making the grade! Damn the new coffee pot--we needs a better smiley selection!

Now Ruby, you KNOW what's comin' next, aye? PICS PICS PICS--or it didn't happen!!!! Sheesh, now I'm doing Mmathis' job too!

You just KNOW we don't have a current 'baby loon' thread, right?? RIGHT????? (runnin' outta ways to hint, Ruby, so...)

picsPlease.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
In Italy water hyacinth is illegal too, but we got

EICHHORNIA AZUREA, is the water h. with roots...​

you should check if in Florida is legal...

alternative: Azolla filiculoides, Hydrocharis morsus-ranae(dunno if there is there too), Stratiotes aloides, Trapa natans, nuphar lutea, nymphoides peltata, Aponogeton distachyos....
looked into eichhornia azurea and it is illegal in Florida...The seeds, leaves, ect..are poisonous also...
but thank you for the suggestion:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
How about Giant Pennywort or Water Poppy? Anyone know if either would thrive in Florida?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Damn, now WHY did I have ta get a squire that is smarter than all the other lil ponders including ME???? heh heh, I gots ta admire your swagger, Dime, but in addition to 'showing off' (;)) add the common names so us less fortunates can MORE easily google, hey? :LOL::love:;):):p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes: (I dunno, just runnin' out of smilies trying to relay all my feelings at the mo!!)

View attachment 145473
Mmm...ill try...but alrdy dunno common names in italian...will be a funny mess in english...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

naaa i'm smaller ponder, not smarter ROFL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
What an excellent list, and thank you (grazie). I looked up each in the Florida noxious and invasive species database.
:)Azolla filiculoides: "American water fern” is OK.
:)Hydrocharis morsus-ranae: is not in Florida, but related frog bit "Limnobium Spongia" is FL native
:alien:Stratiotes aloides: No, invasive
:unsure:Trapa natans: (water chesnut) I think it’s a “no”, am checking further
:)nuphar lutea: There’s a Florida native, nuphar advena “spatterdock”
:alien:nymphoides peltata: No, invasive (yellow floating heart)
:unsure:Aponogeton distachyos: also called Cape pondweed is considered a water hawthorn, so I’m checking further, but I think "no"

Rubyduby (and others), I've intended to do better at sourcing non-invasive, non-noxious plants suitable for Florida ponds and so now I'm on a mission. I'll share good information as I get it.
Admin people, should I start some sort of "Florida pond plant" conversation/ thread?
this one?

Phyllanthus fluitans?​

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Damn, now WHY did I have ta get a squire that is smarter than all the other lil ponders including ME???? heh heh, I gots ta admire your swagger, Dime, but in addition to 'showing off' (;)) add the common names so us less fortunates can MORE easily google, hey? :LOL::love:;):):p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes: (I dunno, just runnin' out of smilies trying to relay all my feelings at the mo!!)

View attachment 145473
is to keep your mind on work....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
dayum now WHERE did I put that JEALOUS emoji?????? oh ADDDDDYYYYYYYYYYY!!! IIIAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN; this list is just not making the grade! Damn the new coffee pot--we needs a better smiley selection!

Now Ruby, you KNOW what's comin' next, aye? PICS PICS PICS--or it didn't happen!!!! Sheesh, now I'm doing Mmathis' job too!

You just KNOW we don't have a current 'baby loon' thread, right?? RIGHT????? (runnin' outta ways to hint, Ruby, so...)

View attachment 145474

View attachment 145475
perhaps you could cycle through 2 signature motifs, " not all ... wander are lost" and "not every pond in Michigan has a loon"? P.S. love loons and knew they were northerners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
perhaps you could cycle through 2 signature motifs, " not all ... wander are lost" and "not every pond in Michigan has a loon"? P.S. love loons and knew they were northerners.
heh heh; DONE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Nice i should check for you....but so you will miss all the fun :ROFLMAO:
no, just thought you'd like to see all the things we can't put in our Florida ponds or yards. Thanks for your suggestions, they're a big help.

Ask a Question