Spirodela polyrhiza​

giant duckweed

Potamogeton nodosus​

long leaf pondweed

Marsilea species(non native)​

water-clover

Brasenia schreberi​

Watershield

What i found out just scrolling and seek images...seems nice ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States

Spirodela polyrhiza​

giant duckweed

Potamogeton nodosus​

long leaf pondweed

Marsilea species(non native)​

water-clover

Brasenia schreberi​

Watershield

What i found out just scrolling and seek images...seems nice ones.
I put in a call to an aquatic plant nursery who only sells to businesses to see what RubyDuby and I can get from them via local pond stores (It's Sunday and The Holidays, not sure when I'll hear back). I'm not good on a boat (take note, Addy ;)) and don't want to troll or wade through the waters and swamps, alligators, biting insects, and snakes of Florida looking for plants. What a wimp!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I put in a call to an aquatic plant nursery who only sells to businesses to see what RubyDuby and I can get from them via local pond stores (It's Sunday and The Holidays, not sure when I'll hear back). I'm not good on a boat (take note, Addy ;)) and don't want to troll or wade through the waters and swamps, alligators, biting insects, and snakes of Florida looking for plants. What a wimp!
your travel accommodations have been noted; I'll see @addy1 sends you to the GPF meetup on a plane instead; the rest of us will have more room then on her boat! Erm, YACHT!

ANNNNNND ifn ya DOES go the 'all natural' route, don some waders and go trolling, make sure you get us PICS PICS PICS!

Or at least get video up until the time you spot the alligators start moving, hey?

Last edited by a moderator:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My hubby was so nice one year, we were along side a walking trail near us and I spotted Duckweed and Azolla galore. The pond was not deep so I said "sure would be nice to have some of that stuff"! We walked back to the truck and brought back some containers and he took off his long pants and waded in there in his undies just for little ole me! People walking by could not see below his waist so all was good. Got out before anyone spotted him to call the po po men! I still have that Duckweed growing and growing in a tub pond. The Azolla after several years just decided to disappear. There are lots of places out there in the wild where you can find good plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
My hubby was so nice one year, we were along side a walking trail near us and I spotted Duckweed and Azolla galore. The pond was not deep so I said "sure would be nice to have some of that stuff"! We walked back to the truck and brought back some containers and he took off his long pants and waded in there in his undies just for little ole me! People walking by could not see below his waist so all was good. Got out before anyone spotted him to call the po po men! I still have that Duckweed growing and growing in a tub pond. The Azolla after several years just decided to disappear. There are lots of places out there in the wild where you can find good plants.
And gators... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Florida aquatic nurseries probably have a few you would like to order through your local retailer....

Nymphoides hydrocharioides
Orange snowflake

Nymphoides geminata
Yellow snowflake

Nymphoides indica
White Large Snowflake
Yes, thank you, Carolina Adavisus. That's who I have a call in to (sorry, mom, "to whom I have a call in") and I've asked my local retailer if they'd be willing to source from them.
This is the nicest group. My fish and I thank you for all the help. I can't wait for the GPF group field trip to go alligator huntin' with for us. I'm told alligators might think we all taste like chicken, since we act like chickens around them?
See you later, alligators.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And gators... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We only have plastic gators here and no poisonous critters either. We do tend to have a lot of serial killers tho. Had to go OT a bit, it's in the blood ya know :p

IMG_5150.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There is good reason to be nervous about gators, their bite strength is among the most powerful predator chops.

Salvinia natans might be about the best surface floater alternative...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm in Pennsylvania, so some of these are not winter hardy...

Creeping Jenny will spread over the water. I have it planted in the ground and it flows over the water. If it's planted in the ground, it survives our winters.

Parrot's Feather (tropical) will float or can be planted.

Aquatic forget-me-not (hardy) spreads over the water like crazy. I have that in a pot on a shelf in the pond. It has also popped up in other parts of the pond on it's own, so it might be a bit invasive.

Aquatic mint (hardy) too. Not as invasive, but it's also in a pot and spreads over the surface of the water.

I also had Neptune's Crown (tropical), which is a very cool and peculiar plant that shoots out over the surface. It's so cool I will purchase that one again in the Spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Yes, thank you, Carolina Adavisus. That's who I have a call in to (sorry, mom, "to whom I have a call in") and I've asked my local retailer if they'd be willing to source from them.
This is the nicest group. My fish and I thank you for all the help. I can't wait for the GPF group field trip to go alligator huntin' with for us. I'm told alligators might think we all taste like chicken, since we act like chickens around them?
See you later, alligators.
will be time to pet em all! :D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
; I'll see @addy1 sends you to the GPF meetup on a plane instead; the rest of us will have more room then on her boat! Erm, YACHT!
I send the chartered Heron plane, might be a stop and go, checking ponds on the way.

The yacht, need to check capacity limits then all invited !

Ask a Question