Am I being paranoid?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So yesterday I introduced the first few fish into the pond, they seem to be doing fine but have recently found a liking for the water inlet current and pipe, the pipe is around 2 inches higher than the water and one in particular keeps trying to swim up it! Are they having fun or is something wrong.. First go at a pond so wanting to do it right's

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's kinda like salmon trying to swim upstream. Part of the fishes nature. Mine love to swim in a really hard flow coming out my water flow pipe.
Riding the wild rapids at a water park w/all the thrills and spills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Turned into a competition to see who can get the furthest up it seems

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Comets/goldfish/shubs.. Their 2nd day in there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Lol may b they r trying to escape like finding Nemo if uhv seen movie

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Like others said, at this point probably just having fun. But keep an eye on them and if they start showing any other unusual behaviors like hanging at the surface, gasping, stuff like that, then you should check your water parameters. One of the fun things about keeping fish is getting to know them and their quirky personalities, and once you know what their "normal" behavior is, it's easier to tell when something is "off."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously early stages so just getting to know them. i know my tank fish well so no doubt will learn my pond guys too, they seem to be doing good.. Feeding ok etc so all other signs are good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Fish instinctively know food is most likely to float down steam, so they often face into the current and lay in wait.

Oriental mystics will tell you the fragility of the Koi represents Man's frailties, and the fish's struggles against the current is an analogy of Man's struggles in life. Eventually the Koi reaches a waterfall, representing the great barrier of life, if the Koi ascends the waterfall it will be transformed into a Dragon, likewise Man will ascend to enlightenment.

The person I heard it from probably explained it a lot better.

Ask a Question