Ammonia reading / picture

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There are many trains of thought in regards to how filter pads and media should be handled. Personally, I would just swoosh them around good in a tub of water. If they look noticeably gunky, then I would sterilize just a 1/4 or 1/3 of them and then again a month later, but, once the water starts to cool down and bacteria shutting down to die off or hibernate, then you will not see much impact from cleaning the stuff.

:censored: Don't treat the water with chlorine! Don't do it! :chair: :cheerful:

You can do the poor man's flow meter to know your pond's gallon. Fill up a 5 gallon bucket and count the number of buckets it would take to fill your pond. ;) :bdaybiggrin:

Reaction score
crsublette said:
You can do the poor man's flow meter to know your pond's gallon. Fill up a 5 gallon bucket and count the number of buckets it would take to fill your pond. ;) :bdaybiggrin:
Or an easier twist .. with an empty pond anyways ... TIME how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket ... then time how long it takes to fill the pond ... you can figure out how many gallons per minute comes out of your hose, and into the pond ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'll ask the pond guy if he has a water meter, or if he could time the five gallon bucket idea. I'm most definitely not filling the pond a bucket at a time....I don't think I could move afterwards:(

What I meant by treating for chlorine, was using a DE-chlorinator if we refill the pond with tap water. ARe you suggesting we just put the old pond water back in the pond? We'll have to add some water either way, as I'm sure the livestock tanks won't hold it all.

Getting excited! Kim

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, i got ya about the DE-chlorinator. I was having fun with ya there at my own expense. You could make an interesting excercise program with all of the bucket filling. :banana: :bdaybiggrin:

Nah, just properly treated new freshwater is quite fine.

I would think the pond contractor would have a water meter. At least to me, it seems like one of those invaluable instruments for that profession to maintain customer satisfaction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Glad I would not EVER allow pond work done if I wasn't home. Few glitches, but things are under way. Glitches as follows:
*He forgot his air pump - no problem I have one. He did offer to open a brand new one, but I didn't think it necessary.
* Once live stock tanks were partially filled, there was a film on the water. I'd asked if he cleaned his pumps between jobs and he said yes. He also told me of a problem he'd had with a pond job yesterday that clogged one of his pumps. I had him empty the livestock tanks, clean and re-fill with a different pump. Voila, no problem. Clearly, the fist pump had an oil leak - and he trashed it.
* His assistant dropped a shubunkin:( One of my koi jumped from the netted tank which wasn't secured enough:( Fortunately his assistant and I saw it happen and it landed on grass. I got big wood working clamps and reinforced the net tie down with them. Pretty scary, but koi seems ok....will inspect closely when time to put back in the pond and keep a close eye on it.

On a positive note, my deepest area of the pond has been revealed....lots of gravel had slipped to the lowest part. We are saving all the big rocks to use next year, in the building of an adjacent bog.

I called the water company and we will be able to measure the gallons of the pond refill at the water main. After seeing it empty and doing approx. measurements....I'm estimating 1700 as opposed to 2000:( Will be interesting to see the actual gallons from the water meter.

Biggest surprise....my gravel was hardly dirty! Pond guy himself, couldn't believe it....but I'm still glad to be rid of it. Pictures and final update later:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

Draining pond....discovering lots of gravel has slipped to the deepest part of the pond.

After two of my smaller koi jumped, I put wood clamps over the edge of the livestock tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

Refilling the pond. Later learned my estimates were very close to final actual gallon amount 1,670 gallons. A bit disappointing, but good information and really glad we removed the gravel and placed all fish but my five koi.

We talked about filtration.....I need a bigger skimmer sooner rather than later.....so I can get both pumps in it. Overall pretty pleased....but will feel calmer in a few weeks, if all is well with the fish:) Kim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Waterfall leaking:( Not the first time, but we're having trouble detecting where it's at. Pond guy returning tomorrow. I told him we'd had a leak before and that the pressure washing might cause it to leak again. Other than that, the pond looks great . The fish were pretty spooked last night, but did eat a light meal when I sat quietly and patiently by the pond.

I'm not sure what's caused the light discoloration of the liner around one edge of the pond....it's visible in the pictures before the pressure washing began, so that's not it.

Reaction score
crsublette said:
I would definitely do it. Adding crushed coral or crushed oyster shells or lithaqua (which is crushed calcified seaweed and algae) just adds to the water's overall health by adding other beneficial minerals to the water.

It can never hurt adding more calcium carbonate (i.e., crushed oyster shells, crushed coral, etc).

WIth a low pH and a high KH, then there will likely be less carbonic acid, that is dissolved carbon dioxide, to dissolve the calcium carbonate product, but there is still other acids present that could dissolve it, except not as fast.

Next question is.... How can the KH be 10 degrees (or drops. or 178ppm) and still have a 7.0~7.5 pH ?? Remember, KH is only a measure of the water's resistance to acidic change, or buffer, and is not a test for any specific buffer. My guess is that there is another dominant buffer system present in your water, that is not only the bicarbonate/carbonate system. Your buffer might actually involve more phosphates, which is not a bad thing. A major pond myth is that high phosphates always contribute to rampant algae growth, which is not true. However, I am assuming your KH test kit reading is correct and has not expired. As a quick aside, baking soda (that is sodium bicarbonate) and calcium carbonate promote the bicarbonate/carbonate buffer system. Water involves many many buffers and is why it is so complex and can not always be easily explained.
Sorry took so long to answer: No the test are not expired :huh: hmmm never thought about testing the tap water for other than Ph and ammonia.

Reaction score
Looks much better Tula! Good luck with everything. Did I read somewhere on this or another thread your were starting a BOG :cheerful: maybe in the spring lol! Good thing now without all that gravel, youhave more actual swim room for your little guys :clap hands: good job! Now lots of plants this spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes, I'm very interested in a bog. I don't want my bog in my pond, but rather along side it, so will research ideas. Went to fish hatchery today to discuss skimmer options and get new tubing and better air stones. Ended up purchasing a Savio skimmer.....sucker is seriously huge!!! Pond guy came out today and we just used foam to redirect the flow of the waterfall for now. He'll return on Monday to install the new skimmer.....it will be nice to put both my pumps in the skimmer.....goodness knows, it's big enough:)

He offered to help with the bog on Monday, but am feeling a little overwhelmed with so many changes, so may take my time in researching ideas. Kim

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bog, big bog, love the sucker. One pump, crystal clear water, no green water, no string in the big pond, water tests perfect. Take your time , easy to plan.

Reaction score
Then addy why do you think I have so much string algae? Maybe not enough plants yet? Or maybe they are really established yet? The pond serface area is 10X11 and the bog is 11X 4 X 2' That' should be adequate shouldnt it? Water is clear

Ask a Question