amonia killing fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks for your advice all....
....Can dying plants be the cause?? I have had some grass looking plants that have survived well all winter but now seem to be dying. The rest of the plants seem to be doing well.

Dying pond plants won't be the cause.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks MitchM.

For the first time I have some physical symptons other than lazyness and death.
I have attached a picture of one of my goldfish.
Ignore the bits of grass on the pond surface, I had just cut the lawn and was scooping out the bits of grass when I noticed the wound.
There is what looks like a bullet wound in the dead centre of his body, in the middle of his red coulered patch. Around the circumference the scales or mucus is actuall flapping around and he has the same in a slightly different place on the other side.
He is behaving relatively normal.
However, one of my red gold fish has a similar but smaller effected area and every now and then he goes on a full thrash around the pond so is obviously uncomfortable.
Another red gold fish is lethargic and another white one is also a little lazy, neither of those two appear to have any scale issues.
The fish in general seem high in the water but that may be because it is a warm day today.
As you know, this is my first ever pond so I am a relative novice so I really appreciate you help guys.

Attachments

• ill-fish.gif
    ill-fish.gif
    225.7 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I notice you live in England, at this time of year the bacteria in your filters are no way near strong enough to cope so feeding should be few and far between, water changes a must I do abou 10% a week now the water temp should be around the 15*c mark you could add a filter bacteria starter and keep feeding to every other day

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
no, but i have a similar mark on another fish and they seem a bit skitty

It would be a good idea to provide some hiding areas for the fish.
It doesn't look like they have any place to go for safety.
Not having a place to go to hide would add to their stress and is bad for their health.

Ask a Question