Amquel Plus

Reaction score
This is what I have always used when I add hose water. Any suggestions for me as the price of this and everything else keeps going up? I'm in Ventura Cty, CA. Also, what is the best koi food? I have been feeding my koi food from Somis Koi and the love it, 3 lbs for $15. My 2nd photo shows the top pond, the bigger pond below in the back is covered with heavy wood lattice because of the racoon problem in my area! Thanks! Jackie

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 365

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you cheked pet mountain.com they have a sale going on and the company i know is based from there .Nothing hardly ever goes on sale for ponds except for this time of the year end of season and new stuff coming out and prices will go up .

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Jacque44 said:
1) This is what I have always used when I add hose water. Any suggestions for me as the price of this and everything else keeps going up? I'm in Ventura Cty, CA. Also, what is the best koi food? I have been feeding my koi food from Somis Koi and the love it, 3 lbs for $15. My 2nd photo shows the top pond, the bigger pond below in the back is covered with heavy wood lattice because of the racoon problem in my area! Thanks! Jackie

1) This is what I have always used when I add hose water. Any suggestions for me as the price of this and everything else keeps going up?

If the purpose for using Amquel Plus is primarily to neutralize the chlorine component in city water, including the chlorine in chloramine, then you can look into using Sodium Thiosulphate. This product is incredibly cheap at neatralizing chlorine, but it only nuetralize the chlorine element. It will not neutralize everything else as is done with Amquel Plus. Personaly, if the purpose is for chlorine detoxification, then Amquel Plus is definite over kill.

crsublette said:
I would created a sodium thiosulfate solution for storage purposes and quick dosage. These solution forms do not contain the particular control agents found in typical dechlorinator products. When sodium thiosulfate is made into a solution, it has a shelf life due to the decomposition by-products created over time from the decrease in oxygen saturation. The decomposition by-products are oxides of sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, and sodium oxide. It is the concentration of hydrogen sulfide that is a concern. Eventually, as the bottled solution ages, the solution will be a pure hydrogen sulfide solution. This reaction only occurs when dissolving the sodium thiosulfate crystal in a solution that is kept in a sealed container. This reaction does not occur when dosing the pond water directly with crystals, that is dissolved in a bucket prior to dosing into a pond.

To use sodium thiosfulate, the owner must have a chlorine/chloramine test kit to know the exact volume, in ppm or mg/L, present in the source water.

If you want to measure the amount of sodium thiosulfate (ST) crystals, then the correct ammount is 2 to 7 parts of sodium thiosfulate to 1 part chorine. 1 ppm = 1 mg/L. So, if the chlorine concentration is 2 ppm, then you would need 4 to 14 mg of sodium thiosulfite for every liter of water. 100 US gallons is 379 liters. So, for every 100 gallons of water, you would need 1.5 to 5.3 grams of sodium thiosulfite. A leveled TEAspon of sodium thiosulfite, depending on the product's crystal size, is about 6 grams.

However, unlike the bottled dechlorinators or bottle ST solutions, it is chemically impossible for the pond water to be overdosed when using the crystal product directly into the pond due to the pond's aeration and water movement.

The shelf life of the crystals in the water is approximately 2 days. Bacteria will decompose the remaining crystals and by-products into fish safe compounds.

Sodium thiosulfate (ST) is extraordinarily cheaper than dechlorinators, but sodium thiosfulate will not bind ammonia and nitrites like the typical dechlorinator bottled product from stores. ST only breaks and neutralizes the chlorine gas in chlorine and chloramine. If your bio-filtration system is built well, then the ammonia residual from chloramine will be consumed by the appropriate actors in the bio-filtration system.

For example, 10 pounds of ChlorAmx, a typical dechlorinator, would cost $70 and 10 pounds of ST would cost $19.

You can get ST at the online chemistry store.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
crsublette said:
I would not create a sodium thiosulfate solution for storage purposes and quick dosage.

I definitely screwed that one up... The correction is in red, that is for the reasons stated in the same paragraph.

Reaction score
Nothing hardly ever goes on sale for ponds except for this time of the year end of season and new stuff coming out and prices will go up .

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I use Amquel to
Petco always has on sale well most of the time and I buy it then a save some bucks.
Also Target has it cheaper Altough I will have to ask my wife on that one she is the big shopper. :)

Nice looking pond by the way.

Ruben

Ask a Question