The phlox have hit their peak! Plus other pond pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So happy we chose Phlox for the waterfall hill!

Here they are almost exactly 2.5 yrs ago when we planted them. October 14th 2014
IMG_0910.JPG

And here there are now!
IMG_3324.JPG

And here are some more pictures from around the pond just cause. :)
IMG_3353.JPG
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3327.JPG
IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3332.JPG

This is one of my favorites little spots. This rock is called the "problem rock" cause we loved it but it took SO many attempts to get it to work anywhere. Now it has this great patch of moss on it and the creeping jenny is growing so nice there. So worth the frustration!
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3338.JPG

Oh should I show my pond too? lol It looks green but the water is almost completely clear, it's just the tiny dead algae on the bottom now. And the lilies are just hanging out together since I re-potted and raised them, they will get spread out later. The fish love the shade!
IMG_3320.JPG

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Super cool! I took a picture of phlox at the store last weekend and texted my wife, was waiting for the "yes get them" but sadly no response. I'll show her your artwork and try again.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I loved your pictures. My phlox hasn't started to bloom yet - hope they look half as good as yours. I like to plant them close to the edge of the pond, but I end up stepping on it a lot when I have to adjust the net. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So pretty! We've been trying to get phlox to grow in our rock wall but we have a naughty chipmunk who likes to use those spots as his entrance and exit. I think I may try native cactus next!

thanks for sharing your beautiful pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Beautiful! Our phlox is almost done doing its thing... I thought it was interesting that the bright pink has been great, but the lavender colored ones don't seem as happy. Hopefully by next year they will be better settled.
I love your "problem rock" area! Great moss and Jenny seems happy there. I have a spot that needs a plant -- also a "problem rock." It will have water flowing over it constantly, but not super fast. Nowhere to disguise a planter and no little nook to plant in. I wonder if I should try some creeping jenny?
Your pond is gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is the perennial rock garden plant, Phlox subulata, and there are much taller growing perennial phlox plants that are grown in herbaceous borders growing easily to a couple of feet in height.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you need to get the mounding kind because phlox comes in a taller version .I have had mine plant over 6 years now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love the taller phlox too, but have never been able to keep it growing. It gets mildew and that's the end of that. The mounding phlox is such a spectacular sight in spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thank you everyone for your kind words! You're all so sweet!

Super cool! I took a picture of phlox at the store last weekend and texted my wife, was waiting for the "yes get them" but sadly no response. I'll show her your artwork and try again.
Good luck! I fully support your efforts. :)

I loved your pictures. My phlox hasn't started to bloom yet - hope they look half as good as yours. I like to plant them close to the edge of the pond, but I end up stepping on it a lot when I have to adjust the net. :)
Thank you! Yes that is the edge I'd prefer to stand on to work on the stream and I have stood on it several times but try to keep my footwork on the other side as much as possible.

I can tell you spend a lot time around the pond!
You are correct. :) I'm so pleased it shows, even in these "haven't finished my spring cleanup yet" pictures.

So pretty! We've been trying to get phlox to grow in our rock wall but we have a naughty chipmunk who likes to use those spots as his entrance and exit. I think I may try native cactus next!

thanks for sharing your beautiful pond!
I'm sure that chipmunk won't be using any cacti for an entrance or exit! lol I have a few chipmunks in this area, surprisingly cause I have 3 vermin killing dogs but the chipmunks don't uproot anything so they can stay.

Beautiful! Our phlox is almost done doing its thing... I thought it was interesting that the bright pink has been great, but the lavender colored ones don't seem as happy. Hopefully by next year they will be better settled.
I love your "problem rock" area! Great moss and Jenny seems happy there. I have a spot that needs a plant -- also a "problem rock." It will have water flowing over it constantly, but not super fast. Nowhere to disguise a planter and no little nook to plant in. I wonder if I should try some creeping jenny?
Your pond is gorgeous!
The creeping jenny by the problem rock is actually planted in the soil outside the stream and a whole fall/pool area higher than shown there, so it is good for those areas. I will look for a picture to shows this. Warning! Creeping Jenny is tough as nails and creeps EVERYWHERE. lol It hasn't become a problem YET but it really is getting everywhere and I foresee it being a PITA to control. Now I did put little sprigs everywhere to see where it would grow and every one of them grew lol.

Ask a Question