addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My arizona pond never got above 85 even dead of summer (when we hit 115 routinely, but it is 4-5 feet deep, has a very active water fall, with a 40 foot stream, that cooled the water. It was pretty algae free also, except for the once a year string algae bloom. Always happened in june.

Maybe you could add some aeration. Water feature etc.

Our new pond here, (pump still not set up) was turning green. We have just a very low flow pump going, i.e. 160 gallons an hour. I took the water feed and had it spray up into the air, started clearing up the green.

Reaction score
This is from my personal experience, I had 2 papyrus umbrella trees, water lettuce and parrots feather.. I decided to take them out mid season because it was getting out of control.. I went from crystal clear to green water just like that.. and I have a UV unit and sufficient filtration...

Shouldnt underestimate the added benefit of having plants in the pond,,, plant in gravel though..

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
cauzeneffeckt said:
This is from my personal experience, I had 2 papyrus umbrella trees, water lettuce and parrots feather.. I decided to take them out mid season because it was getting out of control.. I went from crystal clear to green water just like that.. and I have a UV unit and sufficient filtration...

Shouldnt underestimate the added benefit of having plants in the pond,,, plant in gravel though..
EXACTLY RIGHT!!
thats due to abundance of nitrate using plants being removed . this shocked the ponds eco system with a large increase in nitrates and allowed a green water alge bloom. your filters final product is nitrates and alge feeds on it as all plants do.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, my ponds are always clear. I have lots of plants and the bio filter in a sybiotic concert together.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that would be very pretty. You might have to deal with flower and leaf drop from the vine, i have a few that are not too trashy.

Ask a Question