Another elephant ear question

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Not everyone here understands Chemistry. Too bad since it sometimes leads to bad advice.
With well water, you have other concerns, PH, Hardness, TDS levels and more. Maybe one of our well water experts can chime in here.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
JustJack said:
Are elephant ears poisonous to fish? I didn't know they were poisonous at all until just this month, so I tried to find info on whether they are poisonous to fish and got conflicting reports. There is a gigantic elephant ear plant growing at the edge of my ponds and it has roots growing in both ponds. Do I need to pull it out?

Jack
Elephant Ears, AKA Taro, is one of my top cash crops here. I have sold hundreds to pond owners and I have always had them both in and around my ponds.

Maybe if Koi had teeth and a notion to eat the leaves, somehow, they might be a problem. Otherwise, I see no issue with them. They are a lovely addition to any pond.

Attachments

• Taro in Stream Oct 2010.jpg
    Taro in Stream Oct 2010.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,583

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use well water justjack, ours is acidic (ph reads around 5 straight from the well) so buffering with baking soda until I can get some oyster shells going.
Check your well water as it comes out of your well, see where it is in ph hardness etc.
That will let you know what you need to address after you use the water for your pond.

Well water is fine as long as you know how yours reads. And no dechlor needed.

Need hardy taro here...........lol cold front came threw went from 61 this am to 37 this pm.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
That's very helpful advice. My ph is slightly low right out of the well, but everything else is good.

Dr. Dave, my koi do eat the leaves of the elephant ears. In fact, the previous owner (who put in the ponds) used to feed them the leaves. I think after they go dormant this year I'm going to move them so the roots aren't in the pond anymore. We're about to get another blast of freezing temps so they might not last much longer this year anyway.

Ask a Question