Another reason to feed your fish often.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I read that the other way it would indicate that without supplemental feeding I would not need supplemental biofiltration then yes? I guess my question is simply the ideal set up should allow me to feed my fish twice a day and not worry about the additional ammonia killing them right?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If I read that the other way it would indicate that without supplemental feeding I would not need supplemental biofiltration then yes? I guess my question is simply the ideal set up should allow me to feed my fish twice a day and not worry about the additional ammonia killing them right?

If my memory serves me correctly, your present set-up includes quasi-supplemental bio-filtration....your 'bog'. The additional Ammonia generated by feeding twice a day is easily converted

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So then why am I adding a filter? I mean I thought the bog wasn't good for filtering with fish.
Every time I think I've got a handle on this pond thing.... :unsure:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
From you.... Hahahaha well not really I obviously misunderstood but you told me that it is considered a secondary filtration good for removing excessive nitrites or nitrates I don't remember which and that it was essentially a polisher for water, not a primary biofilter.
Hence the additional pump and filter...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I might have said that a wetlands filter 'bog' is used as an adjunct to ponds to polish water. In truth it functions just like any other bio-filter with the added advantage of phyto-filtration which utilizes the Nitrate. A standard bio-filter does not do this.
Many people do not have the space for a proper size pond much less a pond with a wetlands filter 'bog' so bio-filtration units are required.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree, mine is large enough it handles my ponds. Keeps them n great shape

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
But...but... Maybe I'm confused but I th.ought that feeding them results in more ammonia which then requires additional filtering. Also that feeding them increases the fish population because they don't have to go all cannibalistic on each other. Obviously unrelated since this is a healthy bacteria we are talking about but now I'm torn between wanting healthy fish and not wanting a gazillion of them... I'm probably overthinking this...
I'm now going to go overthink the alcohol to blood ratio while I drink a beer... LOL

That's a great question, based on the overall approach of "don't overfeed the fish" advice that is generally given.
My takeaway from the article is that fish and water quality do best with a constant feeding pattern.

I think it reinforces the approach of designing a pond so that there is a constant supply of natural food available for the fish.
Having too clean of a pond is not good for the fish or the water.

Ask a Question