Another reason to hide your liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
It is not growing directly on the bare liner. I'm not sure if that would even be possible but wjat I did was use a texturing coat to make the liner accept moss.There is a product made by quikrete for patching concrete that is acrylic based and used that to make a texture on the flat part of the liner as it goes over the edge and then you just have to plant the moss from the nursery onto the textured surface and it will grow almost to the waters edge and also grows good on the rocks especially of my smaller pond, The large turtle pond has not been planted yet because I have never textured the liner or did much of anything to that one.

After the acrylic based product (can you share the name?) how did you plant the moss?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
After the acrylic based product (can you share the name?) how did you plant the moss?
I got the moss from a guy I know at the nursery and he gave me this stuff he called a "milkshake" but I have no clue what is in it but it has some sort of a bider type soil material and then some gel like liquids in it. I will try and call him tonight and ask him what the stuff actually is and post when I find out. The surface stuff is actually made of vinyl (sorry I called it acrylic before) It is called "Quikrete Vinyl Patch + Surface" and comes in small one pound buckets at Home Depot. I think I payed about 6 bucks for it. Just make sure you let the stuff dry and not get in your water. I just lowered my water level by about 5 inches in order to let it dry well without getting wet. It was harmless once it dried on my liner on top and it has not peeled or cracked away since.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I got the moss from a guy I know at the nursery and he gave me this stuff he called a "milkshake" but I have no clue what is in it but it has some sort of a bider type soil material and then some gel like liquids in it. I will try and call him tonight and ask him what the stuff actually is and post when I find out. The surface stuff is actually made of vinyl (sorry I called it acrylic before) It is called "Quikrete Vinyl Patch + Surface" and comes in small one pound buckets at Home Depot. I think I payed about 6 bucks for it. Just make sure you let the stuff dry and not get in your water. I just lowered my water level by about 5 inches in order to let it dry well without getting wet. It was harmless once it dried on my liner on top and it has not peeled or cracked away since.

Wow i really appreciate you calling him. I will order online if i have to

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Wow i really appreciate you calling him. I will order online if i have to
Not a problem. He should be home tonight so I will hopefully get him and I assume the stuff might actually be something you can mix up yourself once you have the ingredients (The milkshake that is)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Not a problem. He should be home tonight so I will hopefully get him and I assume the stuff might actually be something you can mix up yourself once you have the ingredients (The milkshake that is)

Im eager to see if its the same thing I did with the buttermilk and moss mix on the burlap. The problem is I recently had my patio powerwashed and dont have any more moss spores to scrape off to mix with the buttermilk. Lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a

Marshall. Did you ever find out what the milkshake was?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Marshall. Did you ever find out what the milkshake was?
Yes I did. Sorry about the delay but, I had the note on my desk but forgot to post. You will need a basic sized bucket or pail to mix in for the "recipe". The ingredients are shredded moss, milk powder, gelatin powder and beer (regular/non-light) plus non-chlorine water. He said you start by adding water to the bucket about 1/3 full then add the other ingredients as follows. You will mix 5 parts moss shred to 1 part beer plus about 1/4 cup of powder milk and as far as the gelatin powder he said you mix that in last until it reaches a thin paste like texture that will spread onto a rock or other surface. Once you have your mix you just spread this on the surface you want to plant moss on and mist it with water about once or twice a day and you will have a very strong blanket of moss. He said it is not a fast way but it is the best moss. Mine took about 20 days to begin to completely cover the surface and after about 30 days I had a thick layer of moss that kept spreading as long as it gets misted each day and does not get knocked off the the surface or rubbed away. I will try and get him to write out a better detailed instructions because I wrote this down while taking to him on the phone so it is not perfect by a long shot but hopefully it will get you started or point you in the right direction.

Ask a Question