Another "turtle habitat project," and I could use advice....again!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm happy to help! Anything I can do to further the turtle cause ;-)

Personally, I really like the pallet "boardwalk" idea. With all the lush plantings around it, you can fashion it into a miniature hiking "forest". Turtles path back and forth underneath, and maybe you can do some fun statues (like this one) walking around up above! There could even be a pier going over the pond with a fishing gnome!
Ok... i'm done now. ;-)
LOL, no, go on! I love it, except ours would have to be a combo of dragons & Disney!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great ideas you did a good explanation michey! Like the other ideas too.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@michey1st @Big Lou @addy1 I finally had a chance to try this idea out, but just barely as it was getting late and the skeeters are vicious right now. The "bases" are 1/2" CPVC, and the "hoops" are PEX. This is all I had time to play with -- until tomorrow!

DISCLAIMER: No [real] turtles were used in this experiment -- model-turtle is a metal stepping stone. Very cooperative, too!
image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OHHHHH look at that!!!! Looks GREAT!!!!!! Do you think the real turts will go for it?
One can only hope! I think that they're gonna instinctively know that it's a shelter-from-harm, in their own little turtle minds -- anything that gives them cover.

Like a cat that's hunkered down where all you can see are it's eyes & ears.....
image.jpg

Silly cat THINKS it completely hidden from view. I think the turts will THINK they are hidden.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There's always a cat! :confused:
OK, I'm losing it, y'all! I started to post a comment to this post.......but thought better of it.

I thought, "No, I don't want to hi-jack someone's thread....."

Yes, I'm drinking my morning coffee, but it's gotten cold.... And no, there's nothing in it but creamer and sugar....

Anyway, @Big Lou, [I was going to say...] Don't get me started on cats!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice I think that will work! I too am drinking some coffee, just did our 3 mile walk, getting ready to go out and mess with the bees again..................HIJACKING lol!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Progress so far:

Once I got ready for construction, realized that one spot I wanted to cover would be a challenge as one edge is a pit that I've dug out to throw leaves and pulled plants in [think compost pit for turtles]. I have some scraps of vinyl lattice, so thought I could use that with CPVC as a support. Turned out perfect! I haven't actually witnessed a turtle using it voluntarily, but did put one under the cover and he used it without acting as if he was under duress, LOL [final picture -- that's "X-tra."]
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A FINAL PROJECT PROGRESS UPDATE:

Well, it's morphed in my brain quite a bit, but here is what I ended up with. And, yes, I have seen the turtles using their tunnels (y).

I had just enough of the green vinyl lattice left over [was still shy just a tad and had to use some white], and it was already sized right for my needs. I'll let the pix do the talking. I can lift the lattice off very easily if necessary, yet it's secure enough that it won't get knocked off, and I can still walk around myself without having tunnels in my way, LOL! :LOL:

Construction phase.......
image.jpg

As seen from 2 different views..... [turtle in pix is a stepping stone -- not real turtle]
image.jpg

Ask a Question