Any advice for an air pump?

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We need to get a good quality air pump for our 3,000 gallon pond to keep the ice open over winter, since we will be shutting down the pump and filterfalls. Any recommendations on brand? I want to make sure I get a good quality air pump, but not overpay. Do I get one rated to circulate the whole 3,000 gallons?

Also, I may as well get it and pop it into the pond now. The extra circulation and oxygenation will be good for the pond. It is still not clear all the way to the bottom. Maybe this will help, but I'm not counting on it. Anyhow, what is the best way to place it? With the air coming from the bottom, or put it near the top? Multiple outlets? I do have water lilies, so that is a consideration since they don't like a lot of movement. I could just put it into my filterfalls if that would be a good idea. I thought I read something about helping the bacteria along.

Thanks!

Sandy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought this airmax one remember though they have to be protected during the winter .I take the airballs off and just weight the hose down to the bottom
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:46396]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a 5000 gallon pond and bought mine at Walmart along with the air hose and 6" stone for $18.00 total. There are three air outlets so I ended up adding a second stone to it last year though the one kept the ice open fine.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
pecan said:
I have a 5000 gallon pond and bought mine at Walmart along with the air hose and 6" stone for $18.00 total. There are three air outlets so I ended up adding a second stone to it last year though the one kept the ice open fine.
Wow, I was thinking I'd have to get a pump that would circulate the whole 3,000 gallons, and the prices I've found have been much higher than that. What was this pump rated to circulate, do you remember? I'd much rather spend $18 than $80 any day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
joesandy1822 said:
Wow, I was thinking I'd have to get a pump that would circulate the whole 3,000 gallons, and the prices I've found have been much higher than that. What was this pump rated to circulate, do you remember? I'd much rather spend $18 than $80 any day!
I don't remember, I just bought the biggest one they had in the aquarium section and the longest air stone. Because it is actually an indoor aquarium air pump, I got a hollow fake rock I keep over the pump so snow and rain don't get to it.

All you need is enough moving water hitting the surface in one spot to keep a hole so gasses don't build up under the ice. I put my stone about 18" below the surface.

This is what mine looks like from my little walmart air pump.

DSCN3313_zps30789ce0.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You are in Michigan though so you might want to buy two ;) I bet it gets cold up there! We get down to 0 F' here, never below and my hole in the ice shrinks to about 12" across in January.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
pecan said:
You are in Michigan though so you might want to buy two ;) I bet it gets cold up there! We get down to 0 F' here, never below and my hole in the ice shrinks to about 12" across in January.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. We sometimes get about -10, but not very often, especially the past few years. Still, knowing I don't have to get one that will circulate the whole pond volume will save money.....unless we decide to get one for other reasons besides winterizing.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Having an extra one on hand is a good idea anyway. Last year I got home from work at about 6 pm one night and we hadn't been above 32 in a while. My pump must have stopped working at some point during the day and my hole iced over. I spend about an hour hauling buckets of hot water to dump on the ice and get a new hole and then had to run to Walmart and buy a new one before the hole closed back up. Not fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
WE employ two airtec 40e airpumps on our own pond and have an older airtec 40 on standby plus a larger pump we bought for the QT setup .
These pumps come wityh a 12 gang maifold which means they will run 12 seperate airstones .
Personally I'd use a floaing pond heater to keep your air hole open .
Using an airpump in winter doesnt mean it wont freeze over and if you place the airstone wrong you'll be dragging up warmer wwater from the bottom of the pond to the top and visa versa
Bellow is a photo of one that did that :-

ice0309006.jpg

We planned our koi pond out from the start being free standing it is lagged by two 22 mm sheets of Polystyrene a layer silversided bubble wrap and recycled plastic loft insulation all the pipes are clad.
The filter housing is insulated by 22 mm polystyrene sheet, everything including the pond and pipes is then clad in decking.
We have policarbonate in the form of a quadruple layered lid of Policarbonate over the filter housing and another sheet covers our pond.
Even withoput a heater in wont go down much bellow 7c but to heat the water we have an 800 watt oil filled electric radiator which is set on its lowest setting just sitting in the filter housing warming the air and thus the water which gives us a heat between 10c-14c it runs by heating the oil then switching off , then as soon as the oil cools down it switches on etc etc ....it runs cheaper than the inline heaters that are 1k upwards
So far the coldest outside air temperature its gone through is -10c and it passed with flying colours.
Maybe you could perhaps buy policarbonate and cover the top of your pond ?
It all goes to help .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the link to the Evolution Aqua website , it appears they have stopped making the 40e range but it will still give you an idea of what we are talking about when it comes to koi air pumps :-

http://evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/Airtech_Fittings.html

I've also gone to another site to compare Airtecs with other pumps the medo range is quite good and you will see the manfold I was talking about on the same page:-

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat47.html

I hope this all helps

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have the 4 gang one I bought at petco and it works great yet also and cost less than 30 dollars .

Ask a Question