Any dwarf suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

So I finally decided to start re-working our raised garden beds along the sunny side of the cabin, and dug out an area to drop in this feed pan... 2'W x 3'L x 10"D Our existing creeping jenny is already on the spring rebound, so it should hide the edges in no time. I'm already exploring the array of "dwarf" water lilies that will do well in this mostly sun shallow pan (zone 7a). I am leaning toward a hardy variety that I can sink into the big pond over winter and return to the pan each spring. My question to you folks is, does anyone have a particular favorite small hardy that they think will do well in this spot; as well as other varieties of plants? I would love to hear suggestions from folks with experience in container gardens. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You live in my favorite state! This isn't going to be that helpful, since I don't have the plant tag anymore. But last year, I bought a mini water lily from Home Depot. I think they typically order things that will do well in the general area. I put it in a giant flower pot that I turned into a water garden. We didn't have super cold weather for super long, but it did get down to 18 degrees. The pot is just sitting out in a flower bed, not sheltered or anything. That little lily is back for the season and doing quite well! If it blooms this year, maybe we can identify it by the flower!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond with these great suggestions! It was very helpful. (y);):D

Ask a Question