Any other motorcyclists here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ZEROPILOT, Oct 20, 2017.

1. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Faster than you are.

My Harley has its stock, silent exhausts. It's pretty silent even though it has the 1,600cc engine.(And a whopping 70 h.p.)
    My Kawasaki has an aftermarket systen, but has legal decibel noise levels.
    Upsetting non motorcyclists is never a good thing.

ZEROPILOT, Oct 23, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. ZEROPILOT

All the bones I've ever broken got broken playing football.
    I've never had a motorcycle accident. Knock on my wooden head.
    I have little fear of crashing. Fear is a good thing, though. And it's good to not ride if you are intimidated.
    It's why my wife doesn't ride much.
    Fear is good. Confidence is essential to staying safe.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    ZEROPILOT, Oct 23, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. ZEROPILOT

It looks a little like me except that's an old shovel head with ape hangers.
    I don't think he cares about what others think....

ZEROPILOT, Oct 23, 2017
  4. ZEROPILOT

Mucky_Waters

I think the word you are looking for is respect. You want to have a healthy respect for the dangers involved. Fear can be debilitating and can rob you of confidence.
    You should have some "fear" though, you should fear having too much confidence, over confidence robs you of respect and is what usually gets people into trouble. People who fear their motorcycle usually leave them in the garage, whereas people who are over confident are out showing off doing wheelies with their buddies in traffic.

I guess the question we want to know is are you in any of these videos? :rolleyes:

Mucky_Waters, Oct 23, 2017
    Gemma and ZEROPILOT like this.
  5. ZEROPILOT

Mucky_Waters

On the subject of overconfidence, I taught my two sons to ride motorcycle and went with them when they took their drivers tests and once witnessed a bit of overconfidence at one of these tests.
    On this particular occasion, my son and I showed up a bit early at the designated parking lot where my son was to take his basic skills test, there was a guy there already with his dual-sport Husqvarna. We chatted with him for a while and he indicated he was a very experienced dirt biker and had competed in, and won, many dirtbike races over the years but had never actually got his motorcycle drivers license for driving on streets so he was about to begin that process today. Besides my son and this guy, there was another young guy with a borrowed motorcycle and a young 16 year old girl with a little moped type bike who showed up to take their tests. As we stood around waiting for the examiner to show up the guy with the dual sport bike decided to bomb around the parking lot on his bike doing wheelies, which I thought was a little stupid and probably wasn't going to make a great impression on the examiner if he happened to catch him, however, that didn't happen.
    Anyway, the examiner finally showed up and he talked to the students all about how he was going to conduct the tests and asked them who wanted to go first. None of the inexperienced ones were eager to be the first so the hotshot wheely guy spoke up and was chosen to go first.
    This was a basic skills test that simply got you your basic learners license and is only designed to test and see if you have very basic handling skills of your motorcycle like the ability to ride the bike in a straight line and turn in between some pylons and stop at a certain point, very basic stuff.The guy lined his bike up at the starting point and the examiner told him to drive straight for about 100 feet and turn around and come back between the pylons. I was watching from distance but I could see pretty clearly what was going on. As soon as the guy took off his front tire came off the ground. HE DID WHEELY!
    Boy did I laugh. The guy went around the corner and through the pylons and came to a stop exactly where he was told, but all the while the instructor's head was shaking. Needless to say, he immediately failed. I walked closer to the instructor hoping to catch what he was saying to the guy and heard the guy saying something about how peppy the motorcycle is and how hard it is to keep the front wheel on the ground (BS I thought to myself). The examiner's response was that one of the basic skill that the students must demonstrate is the ability to keep both wheels on the ground. (um, ya) :LOL:
    So the hotshot experienced wheelie guy couldn't pass his basic skills test but all the nervous newbies went on to pass their exam with no problems.
    A classic example of overconfidence.

Mucky_Waters, Oct 23, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  6. ZEROPILOT

I see a lot of late blooming
    ...And with at least a touch of moron mixed in there.

ZEROPILOT, Oct 24, 2017
  7. ZEROPILOT

Limeymotors

Im a huge motorcycle fan. Mostly older British stuff, but my favorite is my Shovelhead. -Duncan

Limeymotors, Oct 29, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  8. ZEROPILOT

I DO have 90% of a 1971 Norton Commando in my shed..................
    And a few old Kawasaki 750 two stroke triples.

ZEROPILOT, Oct 30, 2017
  9. ZEROPILOT

Limeymotors

I had a 70 Commando. Loved that bike even though it tried to kill me a few times

Limeymotors, Nov 1, 2017
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  10. ZEROPILOT

It's absolutely docile when compared to the Kawi triples.
    The Commando had ignition issues when it got parked.
    Then I sold the front forks....

ZEROPILOT, Nov 3, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question