Anyone ever tried growing Hydrangea in their bogs or ponds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are some new dwarf varieties of hydrangeas - we planted one this year that is supposed to stay 3 feet by 3 feet. We'll see! They are simply one of my favorites to grow - even if I do have to baby them along until they get established! There is nothing prettier than a hydrangea full of blooms!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Clethra alnifolia is my favorite plant, also a water loving bush, deciduous at that. I have a small clone I will be trying in the bog, maybe in a large lily basket. I guess one bonus with the hydrangea is you'll know if your pH changes ;D
I had no idea what plant it was so I googled! It reminds me of a "Butterfly Bush"!
Very nice! Let us know how it handles the bog

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had no idea what plant it was so I googled! It reminds me of a "Butterfly Bush"!
Very nice! Let us know how it handles the bog
The variety I have is Sixteen Candles Summersweet. It is a native species to this area. I'll put a small one in but if let go it would probably take over. It needs lots of water but I never water it enough. When it's in bloom there are so many bees and wasps I've never seen. They all seem very docile while visiting and I can get very close without worry, if I brush one it'll just move.
IMG_0310.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"Hydrangea plants grow best in well drained soil that is high in organic matter. The plant requires a good deal of moisture; however, it is subject to root rots and other problems if the soil stays saturated for extended period"
Bartlett Tree Research Laboratories

"
Hydrangeas grow best in moist, well-drained soil."
The United States National Arboretum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love Hydrangea and have a large collection at country house. I wait till fall clearance sale and pick them up cheap ( many are missing labels) The ones that do best are planted in boggy area next to natural pond. I know everything you read says well drained soil, but here in zone 6 summer they can not have enough water. Many times after rain flooding they are standing in water for a few days. Do I lose some sure, but love them and buy them cheap so willing to experiment with them. The ones that require a lot of attention are ones I have planted in 6 foot cement urns at end of driveway. They are firelight grafted to tree forum. I wanted something very special for curb appeal. Even with sprinklers set every 2 days they still need extra water. My favorite bog shrub is cranberry, spring covered in flowers fall deep bronze leaf color, winter covered in red berries. I would post photos but camera not working

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I was reading that they love the water (their name is a clue). I have some planted in beds but am considering trying one in one of my bogs. Curious if anyone else has tried with success?
While I realize that Pecan no longer hangs out here, and this thread IS more than 5 years old, I just HAD to resurrect it! This Lace Cap hydrangea established itself on a pile of several rocks at the dark end of my pond.
1628786159006.jpeg

John

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's good to know that at least some Hydrangea can take boggy conditions. Somebody should try one of the repeat-blooming Hydrangea macrophylla cvs. in a bog. They bloom on new wood all summer long, but only with ample summer moisture. The first one was 'Endless Summer' but there a number of cultivars released now.

This thread also mentioned Summer-sweet (Clethra alnifolia). I'm growing my first Summersweet this year. It's the dark pink cv. C. alnifolia 'Ruby Spice'. No flowers yet, but fast growth. I'm not growing it in a bog but my clay soil seems to be water-retentive enough for it to be happy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read hydrangeas do not like soggy soil. I don't think they would work well in a bog, but if you have a small hydrangea why not try it? I have hostas in my bog and they love it! I had a ton of them and took a shot and I am happy I did!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read hydrangeas do not like soggy soil. I don't think they would work well in a bog, but if you have a small hydrangea why not try it? I have hostas in my bog and they love it! I had a ton of them and took a shot and I am happy I did!
I've never tried it but would be interested to see your results if you do.

Ask a Question