Anyone ever tried growing Hydrangea in their bogs or ponds?

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by pecan, Apr 8, 2016.

1. pecan

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Oct 10, 2014
    "Hydrangea plants grow best in well drained soil that is high in organic matter. The plant requires a good deal of moisture; however, it is subject to root rots and other problems if the soil stays saturated for extended period"
    Bartlett Tree Research Laboratories

Hydrangeas grow best in moist, well-drained soil."
    The United States National Arboretum
    Meyer Jordan, Aug 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. pecan

May 10, 2017
    I love Hydrangea and have a large collection at country house. I wait till fall clearance sale and pick them up cheap ( many are missing labels) The ones that do best are planted in boggy area next to natural pond. I know everything you read says well drained soil, but here in zone 6 summer they can not have enough water. Many times after rain flooding they are standing in water for a few days. Do I lose some sure, but love them and buy them cheap so willing to experiment with them. The ones that require a lot of attention are ones I have planted in 6 foot cement urns at end of driveway. They are firelight grafted to tree forum. I wanted something very special for curb appeal. Even with sprinklers set every 2 days they still need extra water. My favorite bog shrub is cranberry, spring covered in flowers fall deep bronze leaf color, winter covered in red berries. I would post photos but camera not working
    Nyboy, Aug 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question